Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am changing my clutch in my 2003 Cobra and i was wondering what kind I should get? I Don't want to get a stiff clutch, because i am planning on driving it a good bit. I have been told center force clutches are good by some and crappy by others, what about Ram clutches, or what kind of clutch do you recommend?

·
Banned
2,403 Posts
what kind of power do you plan on making int he future, and what are your current mods? go tot he track alot?

if you are stock to about 600RWHP, and dont venture to the track alot, a 10 spline spec stage 3 will work great.

but if you go to the track alot, or push more than 600RWHP you need to do a 26 spline input shaft, and a spec stage 3, 3+, or 4.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My car has 530 horsepower at the wheels, my mods are long tube headers, x pipe flowmaster catback, 2.8 pulley, sct chip, port and polished blower, and throttle body, jlt intake, thinking about kenne bell in the future.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
well i cant recommend my clutch. u probably wont be able to avoid having a stiff clutch pedal cuz youre gonna need a real heavy duty clutch. whenever u go to order your clutch, the company representative will tell u all the hp and tq ratings of the clutches they offer so that will help u make the right decision.

·
Banned
2,403 Posts
do you go to the track alot?

if your thinking about a KB in the future, i would go ahead with a spec 3+, a 26 spline input shaft, and be sure to put a new TOB retainer sleeve in, the stock ones are junk, and will wear you TOB out in no time. and as far as flywheel, just re surface your stocker, its a great FW.

http://www.lethalperformance.com/pages-productinfo/product-8142/lg-26spline-liberty-gear-26-spline-input-shaft-for-t-56.html

http://www.lethalperformance.com/pages-productinfo/product-8143/lg-shimkit-liberty-gear-shim-kit-for-26-spline-input-shaft.html

http://www.lethalperformance.com/pages-productinfo/product-14102/sf873ft-spec-99-04-cobra-mach-1-clutch-kit-stage-3-plus-26-spline.html

http://www.lethalperformance.com/pages-productinfo/product-12997/lp-t56tobsleeve-lethal-performance-t-56-throwout-bearing-retainer-sleeve.html

if you cant drop $1000 on a clutch setup, you can cut some $$ by getting a spec stage 3 26 spline, and save about $150. and you could even do just a stage 3, and keep your stock 10 spline input shaft, and just spend $350 for a clutch.

another thing i would HIGHLY recommend while you have the tranny out is a LDC cooling mod if you dotn already have it done, it will be the difference of blowing your motor, and not suring a high speed pull.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
thats a good price^. my lil regular centerforce df clutch cost 304.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
BTW, the spec 3, 3+, and 4 are all VERY light clutches, soooooo much lighter than stock. you'll think your driving a little volkswagen.
How do they make them handle so much power but still remain so light? I've always been told that generaly the higher TQ capacity, the heavier the clutch. Not saying I don't believe you, just curious.

·
Banned
2,403 Posts
How do they make them handle so much power but still remain so light? I've always been told that generaly the higher TQ capacity, the heavier the clutch. Not saying I don't believe you, just curious.
partially the clutch material, they use different materials to hold more, and grab harder,

carbon < kevlar < ceramic < iron

those are the typicaly materials pads, or pucks are made from on the disc, in most cases a stage 1 will be carbon, a stage 2 will be carbon/kevlar, a stage 3 will be kevlar, a stage 4 will be ceramic, and a stage 5 will be iron.

ive used the entire spec line, and all of the clutch's are very similiar in peddle feel, and all are very light. the stage 5 is a little stiffer however.

im a HUGE fan of a stage 3, and stage 4, love them.

·
Registered
400 Posts
i have a centerforce dual friction clutch and a fidenza aluminum flywheel. i have had it for about 6 months and i like it a lot. its not too stiff and can hold power. I have 425rwhp 390tq and doesnt slip at all

·
Banned
2,403 Posts
I put the spec 3 in mine planning on about 750rwhp
thats going to slip. 650 is about the 3's limits, at 650 its not going to last long, at 750 you need atleast a 3+, if not a 4, or even 5.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
thats going to slip. 650 is about the 3's limits, at 650 its not going to last long, at 750 you need atleast a 3+, if not a 4, or even 5.
750 rwhp doesn't mean 750 rwtq though

·
Banned
2,403 Posts
750 rwhp doesn't mean 750 rwtq though
no it doesnt, but unless its a honda, the torque should be within 100 of the HP, so it will still be pushing it even with 650TQ, the spec 3 is rated at 760FTLBS, but thats at the crank, so only about 650RWTQ.

my experience is 650/650 is absolute MAX for a 3, its not going to last long at that power, i tend to stop using a 3, and step up to a 3+, or 4 when the power gets above 600RWHP, or 600RWTQ.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts