Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car only has 22k miles on it. Should I already have this much build up?

Im guessing since the build up is bad there that it will also be bad around the plugs and that my chances of breaking one when changing them just went up.

·
Registered
321 Posts
i don't really know much but when i took mine off they were alot cleaner

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
How are the plates working out for you BJ.

·
All sissies going to Hell!
5,818 Posts
It is because you need an oil seperator. Hit up steeda or someone like that and get one you will see a drastic reduction in build up.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Before doing them around 4k rpms I could feel a flat spot and if I was on the highway in fifth gear and gave it part throttle it would take a second to actually do anything. Now not only does it pull smooth from idle to redline with no flat spots, but it also really increased the response. I really dont think it added any HP but it did make it much better to drive.

Best thing - I read TacoBill's how-to over on MustangForums and he said it took him 5 hours to do with taking pics and stopping to eat. It only took me 2 hours and that included making two trips to a friends house to pick up tools in the middle of the install, making dinner for the family then eating it, taking pictures of the intake off, and cleaning up. I'm impressed with myself, especially after the cams taking two whole days and the shifter install being so bad.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is because you need an oil seperator. Hit up steeda or someone like that and get one you will see a drastic reduction in build up.
So this should be expected? I knew it would have some but I just really didnt think it would have that much. I am putting a oil separator on soon so hopefully this doesnt get any worse.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
So this should be expected? I knew it would have some but I just really didnt think it would have that much. I am putting a oil separator on soon so hopefully this doesnt get any worse.
Definitely get the oil seperator. Once you're cleaning up your recycled intake air you'll probably notice low rpm consistancy that wasn't there before.

I'm running valve cover breathers, but can't recommend them becuase I'm going to swap for a seperator kit to get rid of the in cabin fumes. :eek: x_x

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
mine were A LOT cleaner when i took them off at 18K miles...i also have a breather set up on both valve covers though...

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
i know thats what they do....thats why i mentioned that set up...our PCV system works wayyy too well OP...thats why some of us use a catch can set up...which is a PITA because your dumping that can a lot since it fills up quickly...or you can do a breather setup like most of us have done where it will just vent into the atmosphere..while the oil stays where it should..in the engine..

And efylsetaf...id hate to see you drive 60's 70's muscle car...carb'ed and vented you talk about a nice smell...i love it..

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Ha! I love the smell. My wife loves my car but the smell gives her a headache. As long as my wife loves my car, I can upgrade as much as I can afford, so it's a balancing act to keep her loving my car. :)

The smell is only noticeable when the windows are closed or the air is recirculated, I think the fresh air opening is on the firewall right behind one of the valve covers or something. Winter should be interesting as the car is my DD 365.

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
Ha! I love the smell. My wife loves my car but the smell gives her a headache. As long as my wife loves my car, I can upgrade as much as I can afford, so it's a balancing act to keep her loving my car. :)

The smell is only noticeable when the windows are closed or the air is recirculated, I think the fresh air opening is on the firewall right behind one of the valve covers or something. Winter should be interesting as the car is my DD 365.
I hate the smell. **** 60s muscle cars they were slow.

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
speed junkie.....60 muscle was about bad ass looks and sound boy....appreciate it...

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
i forgot how slow your **** was....

·
Registered
342 Posts
i know thats what they do....thats why i mentioned that set up...our PCV system works wayyy too well OP...thats why some of us use a catch can set up...which is a PITA because your dumping that can a lot since it fills up quickly...or you can do a breather setup like most of us have done where it will just vent into the atmosphere..while the oil stays where it should..in the engine..

And efylsetaf...id hate to see you drive 60's 70's muscle car...carb'ed and vented you talk about a nice smell...i love it..
Do you have any pictures of the breather setup?
Thanks Ryan

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Do you have a breather on the intake also or did you just plug it off?

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
you can see it....i just pluged it off, on the right just after the throttle body.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts