Modded Mustang Forums banner

CMS 2.5 Blower HP Gains?

9K views 66 replies 11 participants last post by  Nightmare69 
#1 ·
So I currently have a forged shortblock with 16cc pistons and Factory PI heads and cams making roughly 400whp on 12lbs of boost with a vortech V3 blower. Im looking to switch over to the CMS 2.5 blower cams and their stg2 springs. What type of power increases can I expect with these cams. I'll be spinning the rpms higher with these cams so will probably be making more boost too.

#8 ·
Im sure you will be happy They make some good cams.

#22 ·
Good info! - I'm thinking it helps slightly that I still have a return system. I should still be okay with stock rails a 340 pump and 60lb inj with close to 500whp

#23 ·
Yea you should be fine, walbaro makes a drop in fuel pump https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EBOP2ZO/ref=ox_sc_sfl_image_12?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ANIBE8FYB004C that can support up to low 500s whp according to the guys at fore. Its less LPH but its way more efficient so it can keep up, I may end up going this route, the only downside is the PPRV is embedded in the fuel pump and it may cause hesitation between shifts which would than need to be re-tuned. Also a side note on my fuel max im only at 75% capacity for overdriving the pump so there's some food for thought.

---------- Post added at 05:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 PM ----------

I highly recommend calling fore for any fuel related questions those guys are on point and very willing to help get you on the right track, no bs

#37 ·
Got my cams back from the degree service.....

Tearing down the old timing components....

Replacing the valve springs and valve stem seals

Old Vs New Valve Springs , these are the cms stg2 600lift springs

All the old springs and seals are out

New Vs Old Oil Pump , this is a cobra pump with billet boundary gears

All timed up after a few turns of the crank to be sure there were no ptvc issues

Easy install. Looking forward to firing her up.

#40 ·
I'm not sure I had them degreed by mhs. LTs o/r xpipe and summit resonators dumped.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

#44 ·
Get us some videos when she is all tuned up and let us know how that goes with a track video too man!!!

I wonder how these compare to the old grind MHS stage 2 blower cams I have.

The new MHS stage 2 grind has quite a bit more lift but the old grind stage 2 where real similar to the CMS stage 2.5

MHS stage 2 old grind was:

228/234 duration

.550/.540 lift

115 LSA

110 ICA

The CMS stage 2.5 are:

228/235 duration

536/540 Lift

114 LSA

#45 ·
I will for sure get some dyno run vids and stuff here soon. Its actually ready to go right now but I think I'm going to build the 8.8 over the winter first.

Im not sure, its odd how closely MHS and CMS work with eachother? Bought all my stuff through cms but he went through mhs to degree? I'm not surprised they used similar grinds.

#46 ·
Im not sure, its odd how closely MHS and CMS work with eachother? Bought all my stuff through cms but he went through mhs to degree? I'm not surprised they used similar grinds.[/QUOTE]

I thought the same thing. whatever gets the job done lol jordan at mhs is a great guy also

#47 ·
Its getting close fellas - Tune is scheduled for April 27th. Just installed a better fuel system with an Aero340 pump and switching to a vic jr intake with a 6061 elbo. Latest vid of a quick warm up.

Reactions: GBPackerFan
#48 ·
Your shortblock is what I plan to do with mine. I'm on a D1 right now, literally just got tuned yesterday. I have a 255 walbro, 60lbers, and a boost a pump and I'm only at 70% duty cycle at 440wh at 6300rpm (11psi on a 3.85 pulley).

When I get the bottom end built, I'll go Meth injection a 320 pump and a good blower cam, maybe pulley down to a 3.6 and let it eat. I should be around 550w pretty easily.

Boss rods and a good 16cc forged pistons sound like the way to go for a quick 500-550w safe build.

Great info in this thread. I'll be following.

Reactions: 98SnakeHorse
#51 ·
that is a hot intake setup.

is that psi level on pump gas?! are you running meth at all? I feel like I need to reread this thread when I have time.

#52 ·
93 pump 10.1:1 CR no meth

Will run on 93 this year. Will be switching to e-85 next after bigger injectors and dual pump setup

#53 ·
damn! how are you combating detonation? my tuner isn't to keen on running more than the 13 psi I have on my turbo setup. granted this tuner is reputable for his very reliable tunes.

he is concerned about detonation with my 9.5:1 compression and higher boost levels.

#54 ·
Meh, It may be closer to 9.7:1 to 9.8:1 with my 16cc dish. lol I ran 12lbs last year on pump 93 and did fine. We will see I guess. My goal is to keep good power down low. I think I can make it happen. Below is a vid of a guy who is running a 18cc dish piston with around 9.6:1 compression - Made 662hp and 535tq on 93pump 23psi lol

Us Centri guys dont see a whole lot of boost tell the very top of redline so need any help we can get.

#59 · (Edited)
Alright she's back from the rollers and I'm very pleased with how everyrhing performed. Here's a recapp of what this build consists of....
-Romeo 4.6 Block
-Stock steel crank
-Boss Roadrunner Rods
-Mahle 16cc dish pistons
-Stock Heads
-CMS Stg2 Springs
-CMS 2.5 Blower Cams (CR is around 10.1:1)
Vortech V3 Si Trim 3.15'' pulley (Still 6 rib)

Car did 518rwhp and 437rwtq. Spun the car to 6800ish rpm and she kept making power all the way. The blower cams made me lose a couple lbs of boost so it peaked at 14psi. With a 10% overdrive pulley and some E-85 she will really sing.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

#66 ·
Nice! 14psi sounds right for your pulley setup. My V1 S makes 12.4psi with a 3.125 pulley. Si's with the same pulley setup as the old V1 S usually make 2 psi more.

Reactions: 98SnakeHorse
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.