Modded Mustang Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a bit of trouble with a 09' Cobalt SS. He's bone stock, yet is running almost dead even with my 07 GT. BBK CAI, Xpipe (no cats) 62mm TB, Shorty hedders, saleen axle back w/ the variable pressure magnaflows, diablo tune, underdrive pulleys. Do I need to calibrate the Diablo for the mods? My ford guy says no, but I'm doubting that seriouisly. I've read other Dyno tests, and people claim they are laying down close to 375 hp at the flywheel with the same mods as me....

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Get an email tune from either Doug at Bamachips BamaChips Tuning or Brooksspeed Brooks Speed - Custom Ford, GM, Dodge Tuning. What is a variable pressure magnaflow? If you still have the stock TB, put that back on. Alot of people experience problems with aftermarket TB. 375RWHP with your mods? No way. I would say 310 to 315 RWHP and 325 RWTQ.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Agree, at least get a Email tune from a reputable shop, and do more research before throwing more money at the car.

·
MM's Resident Muffler Shop
3,048 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
yessir!! get that tune :D

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
people claim they are laying down close to 375 hp at the flywheel with the same mods as me....
If you don't have a tune for your CAI, you really might as well not have gotten the CAI. Don't ditch it, just get a good mail order tune. :yes

I agree with the guy who said to do more research before you throw more cash in your garage.

What gears are you running?

·
Registered
482 Posts
im having the same issue with my friend. i dont have quite as many mods as you do. but my buddy has got a stock ss 09 and its dead with me... (while brake boosting) things are no joke

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
the 06-07s had a super charger and the 08----- have turbos on the same engine

·
Registered
244 Posts
You should beat him no problem. I think the Cobalt SS stock should only run 14 flat in the quarter.

·
booooost'd
7,545 Posts
Lol, any gt with basic mods will get beat by these things. They weigh 2800lbs and with a down pipe and tune make 300rwhp. I've been beat a few times by my friend and I make 350rwhp

·
Noob Slayer
2,447 Posts
like juco said these things make crazy power with a little bit of money in bolt ons. totally different beast then the watered down supercharged model.

·
Registered
337 Posts
did you happen to check the driver mod on that cobalt? if he is stock you should be beating him.

other than that though, if he is modded look out. I was into ecotecs for a few years and I know what that car is capable of. hahn racecraft went mid 12's on a turbo balt with just intake, turboback exaust, slicks and a tune

·
Registered
514 Posts
Are you sure he is stock? Yea he says he is stock but how do you know if he has not done some work to the thing.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ford had a better idea!

Check out the 85 SVO boosted Mustang of John Huber. This little 4 banger is streetable, can run in th 8s at 140 plus mph in the quarter and if you want to check out some of the videos of this car on You Tube, you will see that can pull the wheel up high enough to rub the rear bumper. So do not fear Government Motors products, there is always a Mustang someplace to take care of anything they might throw out there. And if you get your tune right, drop some weight by removing the sway bar, the spare tire, and get your suspension right, you should have no problem. And if you really want to surprise him, nitrous is very potent in these S197 cars.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I had similar mods on my 06 and there was a night and day difference between how the car responded after I got a tune from brenspeed. Once you get it tuned you should have no problems beating that cobalt.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Lol, any gt with basic mods will get beat by these things. They weigh 2800lbs and with a down pipe and tune make 300rwhp. I've been beat a few times by my friend and I make 350rwhp
It's funny how people who probably have never raced one of them can say that the GT will walk over the Cobalt SS.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.