Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
1,232 Posts
how bout a 98? There is a pretty nice one for sale in my area.

·
Banned
1,232 Posts
yeah, but then this board of conversation would have none. Thanks for the answer, im assuming its crank hp not wheel.

·
Registered
417 Posts
yeah, but then this board of conversation would have none. Thanks for the answer, im assuming its crank hp not wheel.
Just pointing out that he could get a quicker answer. Yeah, flywheel HP. I think the 96-98 Cobras put something like 265-275 to the wheels.

·
Registered
417 Posts
The 99 and 01s are much better cars than the 96-98s, both in power and handling.
Depends on what you want it for. The power isn't much more in stock form and a B headed car takes to boost much better than a C headed car does. NA, the C headed is obviously better. I like the fact that the C headed motors don't use IMRC's.

As for the IRS, it's debatable as to which is better. I personally like a SRA over an IRS.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Depends on what you want it for. The power isn't much more in stock form and a B headed car takes to boost much better than a C headed car does. NA, the C headed is obviously better. I like the fact that the C headed motors don't use IMRC's.

As for the IRS, it's debatable as to which is better. I personally like a SRA over an IRS.
This can't be more incorrect and you've obviously been learning about 4v engines from the internet. When boosted the C headed engine will make equal or more power at the same PSI. Also, in n/a form the 99/01s will make a lot more mid range hp and tq and about 20 more rwhp at peak. This has been proven over and over. Regarding the IRS, there's no debating that it provides a better ride and much better handling.

·
Registered
417 Posts
This can't be more incorrect and you've obviously been learning about 4v engines from the internet. When boosted the C headed engine will make equal or more power at the same PSI. Also, in n/a form the 99/01s will make a lot more mid range hp and tq and about 20 more rwhp at peak. This has been proven over and over. Regarding the IRS, there's no debating that it provides a better ride and much better handling.
You're just a bit full of yourself. So basically all of the known information is incorrect, just because you say so? State your sources and I will happily admit that I was wrong.

Again, personal preference on the way an IRS car rides and handles. The IRS also weighs a good bit more than the SRA does.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
You're just a bit full of yourself. So basically all of the known information is incorrect, just because you say so? State your sources and I will happily admit that I was wrong.
Yes, I am. I have a lot of experience with these engines and can tell you that B heads are inferior to C heads in every way. It's a common misconception that B heads make more power with boost. That myth was perpetuated by those that believe larger ports are better for boost. Well bigger isn't always better. The only affect that larger ports have is that they slow the intake charge and kill cylinder filling, especially on small cube, low RPM engines such as a stock 4.6 4v that never see over 7000rpm.

Given a 7000rpm max rpm and 281 cubic inches, the C heads will kick the living **** out B heads with or without boost. I've driven both combos and believe me, there is no comparison.

Again, personal preference on the way an IRS car rides and handles. The IRS also weighs a good bit more than the SRA does.
I only said the 01 handled better, there was no mention of weight. The 01 is heavier, but have noticed they are as qucik or quicker than B headed Cobra's despite the 96-98s cams having longer duration?

·
Formerly whyxitx
12,085 Posts
i'd take either over my old sixxer. :lol

·
Registered
24 Posts

Na svt knows these 4v engines very well. I honestly haven't heard of someone that knows more than him. He works on these engines all the time. Wouldn't surprise me if he starts posting up dyno sheets or flow charts to prove you wrong. Here's a question, If the b heads were so great why didn't ford use them for the 03/04 cobras instead of revising the 99/01 heads?

·
Registered
417 Posts
I went back and looked through dyno graphs and flow numbers till my eyeballs started bleeding and I was wrong. The B head might be slightly better than the 99-01 C heads in a boosted application, but it's out done by the 03-04 C head. Unless you are talking full port and RPM's in excess of 7K, the C head is king.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I went back and looked through dyno graphs and flow numbers till my eyeballs started bleeding and I was wrong.
Ti's all good.

The B head might be slightly better than the 99-01 C heads in a boosted application, but it's out done by the 03-04 C head.
The difference between the 99/01 and 03/04 heads is minimal and in most cases zero.

Unless you are talking full port and RPM's in excess of 7K, the C head is king.
The only person that was ever able to make B heads work at high RPMs (9,000 and 50pis boost) was John Mihovetz but his heads looked nothing like B heads after he got done with them. With that, he no longer uses them as he's discovered the newer heads work better.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
You should never doubt this guy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts