Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im trying about upgrading my brakes to cobras. I feel that my stock calipers are just giving out and have terrible stopping power. when i go to the track and run a 1/8 and start breaking i have to break real hard and the car takes forever to slow down.

so... i did some research and i see that the stock cobra brakes stop 60-0 in 134 feet. since im upgrading im thinking about some good rotors and pads. Since im downing AutoX I want to be able to have good stopping power. and hopefully with aftermarket pads and rotors i should see 125ft hopefully.
Oh i also forgot to mention that im getting my v2 strim installed soon so i would really like to be able to stop while before smashing into a tree or brick wall.
i can get for full set up for the front for about 420.
what do you guys think i should do?
thanks guys

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Ehh, I'd just do OE replacements, but if you got some money, the Cobra brakes look nice. IMO not worth it though performance wise. The stock GT breaks are dual piston as are the Cobra's.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I think a fluid swap with good fluid, new stainless brake lines and OE rotors and aftermarket pads will stop you as quick as cobra brakes would.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I felt a huge difference in my cobra brakes, however i went from stock parts so, the cobra calipers SS lines, good fluid and hawk hps pads

good pads, ss lines and good fluid can make a huge difference on stock brakes

i mostly did the upgrade for visual purposes because i hated the look of the tiny rotor through my saleen wheels

read this

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/99-04/194743-upgrade-brakes-speeding-up-slowing-down.html
I feel that its owrth the upgrade. And I totally understand you i have 18in saleens and my tiny rotors make me feel like im driving a honda!
Ehh, I'd just do OE replacements, but if you got some money, the Cobra brakes look nice. IMO not worth it though performance wise. The stock GT breaks are dual piston as are the Cobra's.
part true, gt brakes are dual. but the cobra caliper are much bigger as well as use bigger pads. I'm not expecting it to help my car stop like a f1 car but if I can gain some stopping power Im up for the challenge!

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
If you are doing autox then they are worth it. I daily drive mine and don't really do any road racing/autox so they weren't really worth it. Looks nice through the wheel, but that's about all. I had Brembo front rotors, Cobra pads, Cobra calipers on the front. When it was time to change I put Hawk HPS pads in there didn't really feel a difference between the $50 cobra pad an the $100 Hawk pad. I now have the Cobra calipers with Brakemotive drilled/slotted rotors and Powerstop ceramic pads. Definitely feels like it brakes better than the stock cobra stuff.

I'm guessing you are buying used? You can get them for around $380 on ebay.

I think your best bet would be to try and find some used calipers and then pick up this rotor and pad set, which is the same as I am using: Mustang Cobra 94 04 Drilled Slotted Performance Brake Rotors Ceramic Pads Front | eBay. Not sure how well they'll hold up to autox, but many have had great luck with them.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you are doing autox then they are worth it. I daily drive mine and don't really do any road racing/autox so they weren't really worth it. Looks nice through the wheel, but that's about all. I had Brembo front rotors, Cobra pads, Cobra calipers on the front. When it was time to change I put Hawk HPS pads in there didn't really feel a difference between the $50 cobra pad an the $100 Hawk pad. I now have the Cobra calipers with Brakemotive drilled/slotted rotors and Powerstop ceramic pads. Definitely feels like it brakes better than the stock cobra stuff.

I'm guessing you are buying used? You can get them for around $380 on ebay.

I think your best bet would be to try and find some used calipers and then pick up this rotor and pad set, which is the same as I am using: Mustang Cobra 94 04 Drilled Slotted Performance Brake Rotors Ceramic Pads Front | eBay. Not sure how well they'll hold up to autox, but many have had great luck with them.
haha, thats exactly was i was looking at. I found remanufactured cobra calipers for 115 a pop with the mounting bracket! so its actually cheaper lol 230+102= 332 im pumped now!

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
haha, thats exactly was i was looking at. I found remanufactured cobra calipers for 115 a pop with the mounting bracket! so its actually cheaper lol 230+102= 332 im pumped now!
You sure that's not $230 with a core exchange? I just got some remanufactured rear GT calipers and they were $270 and then I got a $70 refund when I sent my old ones back.

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
Also, if you are going to go with SS lines, make sure to get a kit with both types of banjo bolts included. Maximum motorsports sell them

I painted the center section of the rotors to avoid rust but at the time I did not know the pad doesnt make contact with the entire rotor surface, if you buy oem ford (brembo) rotors they should have a grey coating on the rotor preventing this.

you can see the rust ring that develops if you dont cover enough of the surface, im going to re do mine this year

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You sure that's not $230 with a core exchange? I just got some remanufactured rear GT calipers and they were $270 and then I got a $70 refund when I sent my old ones back.
I dont think so. Ive been messege them and asked them just about everything andthey never mentioned a exchange. I hope im not wrong...But either way. Id like to have something that has been refreshed instead of used ones.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also, if you are going to go with SS lines, make sure to get a kit with both types of banjo bolts included. Maximum motorsports sell them

I painted the center section of the rotors to avoid rust but at the time I did not know the pad doesnt make contact with the entire rotor surface, if you buy oem ford (brembo) rotors they should have a grey coating on the rotor preventing this.

you can see the rust ring that develops if you dont cover enough of the surface, im going to re do mine this year

+1 on the SS lines. thats one thing for sure im gonna get!

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Cobra brakes look better. GT brakes looks silly with 18" wheels. To small.

Performance wise, I'd do it. That's something ive been wanting to do. Next brake job.

My dads Mach (cobra brakes) stops a lot better. Definitely worth it.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cobra brakes look better. GT brakes looks silly with 18" wheels. To small.

Performance wise, I'd do it. That's something ive been wanting to do. Next brake job.

My dads Mach (cobra brakes) stops a lot better. Definitely worth it.
Thanks man, thats the answer I was looking for!

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Mach, bullitt cobras all hve the same brakes.

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
Mach, bullitt cobras all hve the same brakes.
this

I went with bullitts because i didnt want them to say cobra

mach calipers do not say cobra either but the bullitt ones come powdercoated red with the pony

pic above ^^

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Since you wanna do auto x like me, skip the cobra, and put the money towards like a 6 piston set. Yes it will be more, but it will help a lot more with the right tires

1 - 20 of 20 Posts