Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have the SVE 13” Cobra brakes installed on the front of my GT (https://lmr.com/item/SVE-2300K/1994-04-Mustang-Sve-13-Inch-Front-Cobra-Style-Brake-Kit).

The pads rattle like crazy within the caliper. I’ve replaced the pad mounting hardware (C-clips), but the noise remains. It’s a common problem with these brakes, but most seem to rectify the issue with the mentioned C-clips. No luck in my case, however.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might go about fixing this? Perhaps it’s the brake pads that are somewhat out of spec or something? I believe they are Stop Techs, but I could be wrong. They might even be generic pads .... whatever came with the above kit at the time, is what I am using.

The car is stored for winter right now, but I’m looking to tackle this problem in the spring. The noise drives me crazy and I’m prepared to fix this or suck it up and by new calipers (which also brings me to my next question).

Where can I find brake calipers for sale, that will fit these 13” rotors? I’ve heard Brembos are an option? Will these fit and if so, where can I buy just the calipers?

Thanks guys.

Matt

·
Nile P. Pezdel of Pez Dispenser Inc. CCA
5,502 Posts
Have you contacted LMR about the issue? Their customer service/ tech support has been helpful to me in the past. You may just have a defective set or a problem that can be readily fixed.

Throw some pics up or video if the rattling is bad enough you can see it that way. Maybe we can help better if we see how you're putting the stuff together just in case it's installation error. It probably isn't, but hey, might as well look at everything before junking a few hundred bucks worth of brakes!

·
Registered
379 Posts
+1 on LMR's customer service. I have the Steeda X2 balljoints and one went bad after a few months. They refunded me for the whole purchase way outside of the return policy.

Pictures and/or a video would be really helpful. I am not 100% following were the issue is. When I installed mine everything was really tight. I had to use a rubber mallet to get the pin, that hold the caliper on, in place.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.

I've fired off an email to LMR - hopefully they can help me out.

I had these professionally installed, later looked at by several techs, and I've even installed aftermarket (Doorman) retaining clips myself. The pads (mostly on the driver's side) still make a clunking sound within the caliper, over every little bump in the road. The only time the brakes are quiet, is when I press on the brakes while driving over bumps. That quiets everything down 100%. So, I'm kind of led to believe that the pads are the issue. I've taken the pads out, and they appear to be installed correctly. Perhaps the pads are defective or something? They seem snug, and look good to me?

I could always order another set of pads and see if that helps, but I don't want to waste my money if somebody has a better idea.

I'd take a pic or video but my car is now in storage.

EDIT: I found a Youtube video of a guy with the same brakes, and the same problem/sound.

Also, the pin on the brake caliper is very tight on my passenger side (had to use a mallet to get it in, to attach the "e-clip"), but the driver's side I could push it in very easily. Perhaps the pin is defective or damaged??

·
Registered
379 Posts
That seems like a pad issue or at least where the pad and caliper bracket meet. I would go to Autozone and buy their cheapest pad. If everything is still loose then I would say the caliper bracket is defective. If the new pads snug everything up then the pads LMR gave you are bad. Then I would return the Autozone pads. You'll have a better understanding of the problem and it won't "cost" you anything, in the end.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
before you do that, measure the retaining pins to check if they're the same diameter

·
Registered
256 Posts
It's got to be either the springs on the one end of the pads or the retaining pin. The spring should face towards the bottom of the cradle that the caliper bracket creates. You should have to push down on the caliper in order for the retaining pin to slide in. It's really shouldn't slide in too easily. Sometimes when I clean everything good it slides in without much trouble but usually I have to slightly tap it in with the end of my pliers or something if I'm not pushing down on the caliper.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the advice, guys.

Here's what LMR had to say;

"First thing to check would be the pad retention springs that go into the holes on the caliper and the pistons. I've had a car with 13" Cobra style brakes before that had the weak springs that caused this slight rattle. You may also double check the caliper pin to make sure it does not have any wear spots causing slop as well."

It's too bad I didn't think to post this before I put the car away, but I'll take a look at this in the spring. I'll check the pins & pads. I see LMR told me where to find the springs, but what do they look like? I don't think I noticed any springs the last time I took out my pads, and inspected stuff.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I had this annoying problem myself at one point. In my case, replacing the retaining clips, slide pins and c-clips did not resolve the issue. I had to replace the cheap (Raybestos??) pads with Hawk ones.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had this annoying problem myself at one point. In my case, replacing the retaining clips, slide pins and c-clips did not resolve the issue. I had to replace the cheap (Raybestos??) pads with Hawk ones.
I’m leaning towards the problem being the pin, or the cheap brake pads. Maybe I’ll just swap both.

Which Hawk pads did you go with?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Word of advice OP, I am a die hard LMR customer but I will never purchase SVE products. They are not engineered to the same quality as a more reputable brand product. As other's have mentioned, LMR will take care of you as their reputation for assisting their customers is stellar.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For anyone searching this thread to fix this same issue;

The problem turned out to be the brake pads. Whatever pads the SVE kit shipped with at the time were not to spec. I installed a set of OEM Motorcraft ‘03 Cobra pads, and that fixed the noise almost completely. Every now and then I’ll hear a few small clanging noises, but I attribute that to poor build quality on these SVE calipers.

I hope this helps someone else, because this drove me crazy for years!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts