Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know which to do. I am looking at buying a used cobra engine or doing the pi swap. I want to get to 300hp, and i know its gonna cost me both ways, ill like to know which is best and more cost efficent. I have a 98 stang gt with about 80k on the engine. should i just wait a little more to add more miles to the engine and then do the engine swap or should i invest money on doing the pi swap and get it to 300hp. any suggestions? opinions? :no

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
The only way i would do a cobra swap is by actually buying a cobra. IMO it wouldnt be worth the time and money to do a cobra swap. I say build your motor with PI stuff and go from there.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Cobra swap would be the way to go. Its easy to find a 96-98 cobra motor for under $3000... I found a 98 cobra motor complete for $1500. All you would need is the motor itself, you could use your 98 computer, wiring harness and fuel system, along with your T45.. it would basically just be plug and play. The cobra motor is also a better foundation for further improvements.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
And coolant mods.....and exhaust.....

I say do a headswap w/ some cams and have at er'! :cool:
Theres obviously more to it, but i didnt want to get into a long, drawn out explination. I really think the cobra motor would benefit him the best in the long run if ever decides to experiment with FI.

A head/cams swap would be beneficial too.. im not sure i would say its as cost effective as the cobra motor though... atleast not in the long run.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
^Thats what it really depends on. How much power is he looking for and how much money is he willing to spend.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
cobra motor would be the way to go, just dont buy cobra badges or and put them on

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i was looking to spent about 3 to 4 thousand, i was looking at some cobra engines online, and they want like 2-5 thousand, i was hoping to spend 4 thousand max. I would still need to find someone to install it for me. which i dont have any idea how much it would be.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i would be content getting my car to 300hp+. I just love the cobra motors, obviously for the performance

·
Premium Member
14,288 Posts
y not? with the the cobra motor it is pretty much a cobra
nope........

unless u buy a cobra totalled out, and take everything that makes it a cobra, including vin number and etx, then u have a cobra.

otherwise u got a fobra

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
i would be content getting my car to 300hp+. I just love the cobra motors, obviously for the performance
You can get to 300hp either way for about the same $. It sounds like you want a cobra motor so maybe you should get that. I love my PI setup and I don't even have aftermarket cams or a portjob. I am sure I don't have but around 260-270rwhp though.

·
Registered
962 Posts
tough decision, cobra motor has more potential, so when you get power hungry you can get more power easier. it depends on how much work you wanna do...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i dont know who said it, but yeah putting on badges on my gt would be retarded. I think some people here have that misconception that i want to make my gt into a cobra. Kinda dumb whoever said that

·
The UPS guy
3,232 Posts
i said it!!! no i didnt actually a gt with cobra engine is a fobra ladies...a cobra is not just the engine..it is the whole car...as people always say on this forum...they are two diffrent animals...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i got another question: i called a local amp performance shop, which specialize in mustangs, and they offered to do a complete engine swap, but it would be an engine off a 2000 mustang gt, it gots about 40,000k $3500 labor and parts. is that a good price?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts