Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to build my engine a bit while it's out of the car. My thoughts are to go with 36# injectors, dual 60mm accufab throttle body, under drive pulleys, long tube headers with sorry h pipe, my hand ported 03 mach 1 intake with mmr spacer, stock 3cc pistons with forged rods(i have this already), comp 106400 cams so I don't have to notch pistons, and my heads are getting a stage 3 port from fox lake. Do you think a Sullivan would work for this setup out do you think it would kill street performance?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody have any thoughts?

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
If you go with the Sullivan it's likely to be kind of lazy down low. But at the same time it seems like it's got potential for revving high. If you're looking for more of a daily driver build, I'd stick with it as is. If you really want to wring the power out of it, a more NA cam with a tighter LSA and a Sullivan would be really potent, but down low would suffer.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I talked yesterday to bullet cams about getting custom grinds for this engine with a Sullivan intake. They made it seem like custom grinds could alleviate a lot of the bottom end loss And give me a wide power band. I'm hoping this turns out too be true

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A big question I'm ruining into now is, how much cam do I give it? Could I go with stage 2 cams and install with a tighter lsa? Bullet cams recommended a cam with 223in, 222ex, 480 lift, and 112-113 lsa.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
With your setup you can get about as aggressive as you want. It will all come down to how streetable you want it versus how much power you want. You're going to know your wants and needs better than I can guess.

And I totally forgot we're talking 4Vs and you can set your own LSA here (with adjustable gears of course.) :eek: I've been messing with too many BBO/SBOs lately.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha yeah 4v! It's ok,I know how it goes man. I'm thinking the car is going to be mostly a weekend cruiser and it'll be mostly rural driving. Not a lot of light to light stop and go. So basically I can go as big as I want? And power will just come with the bigger cams just at the cost ou'd drivability?

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Yeah if you've got a Sullivan and stage 3 ported heads, you can really make use of huge cams. Of course the downside is potentially low vacuum at light load and giving up power down low.

Personally I would think for a pretty practical street car I'd go with your initial setup. Those cams and intake should provide plenty of usable power around town. If you're going to spend more time at the track or romping on it and/or don't mind it being a little more temperamental for the sake of power, then I'd opt for the Sullivan and something more in the "stage 3" cam category. In that case I'd even bump the compression up as well. But that may be another story.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You have been an invaluable help to my cobra crusade. I appreciate all the help. I'm hoping to hit 11s after a few suspension upgrades. Thank You!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What's your opinion between crower stage 3 vs comp stage 2?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
you need to look at the operating rpms of both cam sets and compare that to the Sullivan intakes operating ranges. Need to make sure the cams don't run out of steam when the intake starts coming alive.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
What's your opinion between crower stage 3 vs comp stage 2?
It looks like the Crower are fairly tame in comparison to others. For them the stage 3 NA grind (212/216 @ 0.50, 0.484" lift) would be a pretty good moderate cam, very streetable.

From Comp I'd go with the XE-R series for a little more power than the more street friendly Xtreme RPM series. The PN 106300 (226/224 @ 0.50, 0.475" lift) seems like a good balance. If you want to shift the balance more toward power the 106400 is an option, but then you might be thinking more about the Sullivan.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Turns out I have a broken piston on the number 7 cylinder. I pulled it out and got a pile of piston and ring pieces under the block. Cylinder wall was already bored to max, so it's looking like I'll be upgrading to the ford racing 5.3 boss block. That should get the Sullivan breathing better.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You did, I just now got the time to take it apart. Glad I did though. I figure I can't go wrong with the 5.3. At least i know for sure now

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
If you're going NA the 5.3 is great for additional cubes. I don't know if they've resolved it, but some people were having issues with high boost 5.3s, blowing HGs between the cylinders, likely due to the reduced sealing area. I struck with the 4.6 since I know I'll be cranking up the boost, and Accufab has shown you can do a whole lot with just 281 CID and enough boost.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got the Heads out to fox lake today and the bill says that he will be "tipping the valves for lash". What exactly does that mean?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I've decided to go with a custom grind cam for the 5.3 with ported heads and the Sullivan intake. I'm thinking an LSA of 112, Adv In: 272, Adv Ex: 269, In @ .05": 236, Ex @ 05": 234, intake lobe separation of 109, .480" lift intake and exhaust. Should give me good overlap and duration for the Sullivan but a narrower LSA for more power down low. Also less exhaust duration to try and decrease losses from over scavenging of the 4v heads. What do you all think?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts