Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have an opinion on bolting in a used Cobra IRS set up?

I see these all the time on Ebay, complete for $750-$1000. It seems hard-core drag race guys like to swap solid rear-ends, I guess for strength, or squat, or something.

My ultimate goal is to get my 98 GT quick (not crazy fast), and handling well. Would like for it to be a good Autocross car. So I always planned on gears, PI swap, a few bolt-ons, get the ride height right (the factory ride height is so bad it's funny), and make it handle. It would seem that an IRS would be a big step in the right direction for road holding abilities.

Thoughts? (sorry it's soooo looonnngggg)

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
The IRS will be good for your handling in corners and everything but it wont work very good in a 1/4 mile drag race. So its just up to what you would rather have. Something that handles better or something that performs better in a drag race.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Solid axle FTW! Irs would be good on the Street but will do nothing in terms of traction. Id say hit up maximum motorsports and get a grip box. Best mod ive done so far and she handles like shes on rails. Only thing is tuning it takes a while. 4 hours last time i had it done. But definatly worth it.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I dont' know, with your rear set, do you notice bumps make the whole back end go funky. I have springs and shocks with new sway bars. I'm getting a panhard bar here in a couple days. After all that shizz is installed. Do you still get the whole back end bumping around from a bump on 1 side?

54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only real problem I have with the factory set up is that the springs seem to bottom out over hard bumps. But it doesn't move around in any funny or strange way other than that, to answer your question ModMustang97GT. I've driven Lincoln Town Cars that seem to have a lot of lateral movement. Is that what you mean? I know that in very basic terms they have a similar set up. So, if that's the case are the shocks badly worn?

·
Registered
187 Posts
check Maximum Motorsports :: The Leader In Mustang Performance Suspension they have everything you need to make your pony stick. add a panhard,subframe connectors,k member,lower control arms,tokicos,and some good springs and you should be good. i still feel bumps(come on it IS a mustang) but no more dancing on shitty pavement. not to mention i can carve corners with eaase.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts