Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how hard would it be to swap a cobra motor into the gt

·
Banned
2,403 Posts
03/04, or 99/01.

not hard at all though. you should really buy a wrecked cobra of the year you want to swap in, and swap everything over.

biggest thing will be reinforcing your drivetrain that isnt going to hold up to the added power possibly.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was looking at a 01' cobra but the dealer already sold it. so i figured pick up a gt for now. and later on do a swap

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
and gt's around by me are kinda cheap too.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
some guy by me was selling a v6 that he put a 03 cobra motor in, and it was a 94-98 to, and he put the 03 cobra seats and guage clauster from a cobra in and so on and so forth, he even went as far as crudly mounting a 03/04 cobra bumper on it, how it did it is beyond me, it looked like all hell, and basically look like he scewed it one, and threw some bondo over some parts and primered the bumper up

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats not right. there was a 96' on ebay with the 03' cobra drive tran. in it looked good just no room under the hood

·
Banned
2,403 Posts
i was looking at a 01' cobra but the dealer already sold it. so i figured pick up a gt for now. and later on do a swap
you can pick up a wrecked 99/01 cobra for $4-6K, or a wreck 03/04 for $9-14K.

i can tell you it is WELL worth the 03/04 cobra price. with the 99/01 motor, your going to be making the power you car would make with full bolt on's, and some cams. so i would do that before i did a 99/01 cobra swap.

and honestly, you can sell your car, and pick up a 03/04 cobra for $18-19K right now with a few miles on her.

best thing to di if you can afford insurance, and want to do a swap, sell your GT, buy a V6, then buy a 03/04 and swap over.

just whatever you do PLEASE do not put cobra badging on it. just because you have a cobra drivetrain, you still dont have a cobra.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
theres not much room under the hood of a cobra or mach

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
just whatever you do PLEASE do not put cobra badging on it. just because you have a cobra drivetrain, you still dont have a cobra.
+1, i saw a guy on cars.com that had a cobra bumper and cobra badges on his mach, i wanted to slap him

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i'd let it say gt. no one would expect it

·
Banned
2,403 Posts
i'd let it say gt. no one would expect it
+1, i actually have a V6 front bumper and rear painted torch red. and i put some red electrical tape over my cobra, and SVT badging. pull the rear exhaust pipes, do the bumpers, and go screw with people, they dont know what hit them.

·
Banned
2,403 Posts
+1, i saw a guy on cars.com that had a cobra bumper and cobra badges on his mach, i wanted to slap him
you should meet a friend of mine, the guy i boguht my 04 cobra from, he also has a 04 mach, the one i was talking to you about before, and before he knew that i knew **** about mustangs he used to try to BS me, and tell me that its a cobra, he just didnt get the optional supercharger. he put the cobra badges UNDER his 40th anniv. side emblems, and looked liek complete ****, and he looked like a tool telling people it was a cobra.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
yea, there are some serious people around here that try to b.s. that kind of stuff, this one kid has a non p.i. GT, first tried to tell me it was 400 to the wheels N/A and i beat him in my mach just as i beat anyother non PI gt with just exhaust on it, he has b.s. about so much stuff its not funny, when i first met him he tried to tell me his gt was a cobra and he just put gt stuff on it to be a sleeper, he popped the hood, and i imeediatly had the impulse to slap him, he still had the plenum, he changed almost nothiing except he put a sticker that said cobra on the inside of the hood, just like the kid that works at the same autozone as me that tries to tell me all 2003 and up GTs were switched to DOHC like the cobras, and adding headers to a cobra will give you no HP because his friend with a GT has TT still running stock manifolds lol

·
Banned
2,403 Posts
all 2003 and up GTs were switched to DOHC like the cobras, and adding headers to a cobra will give you no HP because his friend with a GT has TT still running stock manifolds lol
i like that, no wonder he works at a parts store.

did he ever think they use the restriction of the stock manifolds to make the turbo's spool quicker.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Cobra kits are good but not the badges only if you have a real cobra I agree! The motor swap should be alot easier in a 99-04 the guy aroung=d here has a terminator motor in his fox body its crazy fast!

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
theres a old 67/68/or 69 whatever it is mustang with a terminator motor in it, and the interior from the terminator in it as well, i saw it in MMFF

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
and yea the kid that works at the parts store, both of the idiots i was telling you about work in the same store by the way, both think they have the fastest stangs around, the kid that tried to tell me that his gt was a cobra, had a "350 horse" foxbody said his car runs low 11s lol yea get that, was bragging that his car was the fastest around, i asked him to race me and my mach and he was like thats not fair, you have stock gears, i have 4.10 posi i wont get traction youll beat me, but i was like you run low 11s, youll have no problem, he was like no man that was with 10.5 inch slicks im running streets tires now, so i was like ok, we'll go from a 60 or 65 mph roll, you should be able to get traction then, he was like no man i cant tonight lol

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
theres a old 67/68/or 69 whatever it is mustang with a terminator motor in it, and the interior from the terminator in it as well, i saw it in MMFF
i think thats a termie unibody with an old body. is it yellow. if so it the same car. that car spent countless hours to make that work and its awesome.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Dirt bag lol whatever those types of ppl kill me. However there was one guy that was at a meet here in columbus and had 2 cobra badges on his GT, my friend mark has a 2004 cobra and was making fun of the guy with the GT. Well the guy in the GT(Frank) spanked Marks cobra and said he wears the badges because he maid a bet not for money but for a cobra owners badges and he won but the cobra owner backed out on stripping his cobra and instead bought him badges lol! he will never live that down

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Dirt bag lol whatever those types of ppl kill me. However there was one guy that was at a meet here in columbus and had 2 cobra badges on his GT, my friend mark has a 2004 cobra and was making fun of the guy with the GT. Well the guy in the GT(Frank) spanked Marks cobra and said he wears the badges because he maid a bet not for money but for a cobra owners badges and he won but the cobra owner backed out on stripping his cobra and instead bought him badges lol! he will never live that down
lol awesome

1 - 20 of 48 Posts