Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i just swapped my stock gt 5.0 and auto tranny for a 95 cobra 5.0 and 5 speed the car runs great but every so ofted its getting hot and now its running really high oil pressure any suggestions on what is causing this?

·
Registered
581 Posts
I wouldn't think high oil pressure would be a bad thing, unless its way high. What temp does it actually get to? Is this based on the stock gauge, or a real temp gauge? The stock one sucks and aren't accurate. You could feel for cold spots on the radiator to see if its clogged, but you said it just happened with the new engine so that's doubtful. Bad t-stat possibly?

·
Registered
98 Posts
i have the exact opposite problam, my car doesnt get up to temp. I used to think it was from my fan always being on so then wired that thing to a switch and now i almost never have to turn it on. i have the stock t stat and an aftermarket one. both hooked up in different spots. the stock one warms up faster.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Electronic t stats for the fans? That's different then the t stat in the car. If your car doesn't heat up, the t stats probably stuck open. But again, how are you judging this, the stock gauges suck and don't give accurate information.

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
coolant flush new thermostat and if your fans not wired to always stay on wire it that way, 94-95 gets hot as **** before the fan kicks on

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well with the other motor it never got hot but yes going by stock gauge with the stock motor it never went over half the gauge and its the oil pressure is at the top of the gauge all the time and ever once in a while goes way up maxing out the gauge

·
Registered
581 Posts
on a cold start, the oil pressure will be high like that. once it heats up and thins out, the pressure will drop. the new engine is probably in better condition, bearing wise, then the old engine. so oil pressure is better.

something is obviously wrong with the cooling system. maybe a bad water pump on the new engine, or a bunch of **** got washed into the radiator and clogged it. like hatch said, do a coolant flush, which will clean a bunch of gunk out of the system, install a new t-stat (180* will give more power) and wire the fan to always run. thatll eliminate 3 possible causes for $20

1 - 8 of 8 Posts