Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello my mustang friends, i am pulling my hair out with my supercharged 99 mustang, i keep popping two codes everyday, PO181 and PO182 . i looked them up , but they dont make any sense, i have asked shops but they are not sure due to my car being supercharged with kenne bell. i have been having issue with this car for a couple of months now , car seems to run ok, but its a pain to drive around with my code reader plugged in to clear it all the time.
how do i know if my fuel pressure sensor is bad? is this the part of that code? i talked to kenne bell, i didnt have some disk that goes under the fuel pressure gauge, so i got it, and still the same thing, what do you think this could be?

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
What method are you using to pull those codes? The correct format would be P0181... anyway they both refer to fuel tank temp...... never ran across these two codes before. If there is in fact a fuel tank temp sensor it would appear, according to the two codes listed, that the sensor is bad.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes its po181 and the po182, where is temp sensor located at? i never had this problem before the kenne bell was installed,

·
Registered
2,936 Posts

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
From alldatadiy for a 2000 GT.

Description and Operation

Engine Fuel Temperature Sensor
The Engine Fuel Temperature (EFT) sensor is a thermistor device in which resistance changes with temperature. The electrical resistance of a thermistor decreases as temperature increases, and increases as temperature decreases. The varying resistance affects the voltage drop across the sensor terminals and provides electrical signals to the PCM corresponding to temperature.

Thermistor-type sensors are considered passive sensors. A passive sensor is connected to a voltage divider network so that varying the resistance of the passive sensor causes a variation in total current flow.

Voltage that is dropped across a fixed resistor in series with the sensor resistor determines the voltage signal at the PCM. This voltage signal is equal to the reference voltage minus the voltage drop across the fixed resistor.

Engine Fuel Temperature (EFT) Sensor

The EFT sensor measures the temperature of the fuel near the fuel injectors. This signal is used by the PCM to adjust the fuel injector pulse width and meter fuel to each engine combustion cylinder.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
^ close, however on our cars the EFT sensor is not directly connected to the PCM; it instead is used to modify the fuel rail pressure sensor's signal.

The pressure sensor is a positive temperature coefficient (PTC) strain gauge, its resistance increases as the pressure increases. The EFT sensor is as described above a NTC (negative temperature coefficient) device with its resistance decreasing as fuel temperature increases.

By combining the sensors it happens that as the fuel temperature increases the FRP sensor output falls telling the PCM the fuel pressure is lower than it really is, so the PCM commands a higher duty cycle from the fuel pump--raising the pressure to keep the fuel liquid--pretty neat design!

Also, this line above "The electrical resistance of a thermistor decreases as temperature increases, and increases as temperature decreases." should read "The electrical resistance of a NTC thermistor decreases as temperature increases, and increases as temperature decreases.". There are also PTC thermistors.

·
AHRC Suffolk, NY CarShow
524 Posts
........................... and the answer is .... ??? need a new sensor ?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Cliffy you've done it again lol.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you all for the info, i will look into that, ever since i installed the kenne bell set up i have had this code, drives me nuts..

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
It is not uncommon for the FRP sensor to be damaged in boosted apps, even the stock '03 and '04 Cobras can eat them up--KB makes a restrictor disk that is supposed to prevent that. There are also (or at least used to be) aftermarket FRP sensors that are supposed to be more resistant to the challenges of boosted apps.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i had that disk you are talking about from kenne bell, i put it in , and in the am the car wouldnt start right. it will act like its flooded or not enough fuel, it just sits and acts like a very low idle with a cam. i pulled it out and it helped some?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I would suspect the FRP sensor is bad and it would be a not-too-costly gamble with pretty good odds to replace it...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts