Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my MILs installed and a day later my CEL comes on with the code p0136. I know its something to do with my o2 sensor...does it mean my o2 sensor is bad or is it a problem with the MIL eliminators?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
its probably on wrong NASTY GT had the same code pop up and it had slipped off, see if yours didnt do the same

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its probably on wrong NASTY GT had the same code pop up and it had slipped off, see if yours didnt do the same
His eliminator slipped out of place? Because I had to cut the tabs off of my one eliminator so it may have fallen out

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
yup u have to cut them off

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do they stay in place then if the tabs get cut off?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Electrical tape will both hold it together and keep water out, however it could also be a weak/bad sensor--how many miles on them.

MIL Eliminators work by filtering the rear O² sensor output to reduce its amplitude and phase shift it a bit (more about that here). This makes the PCM believe the cats are still there and working as the cats use oxygen in the conversion process making the rear O² sensor signal lower.

Obviously for the eliminator to do its job requires that the rear sensors be working properly, at issue is that as PZ (Platinum/Zirconia) O² sensors grow old their output voltage drops. Often it drops to a point where the further reduction introduced by the MIL eliminator pulls the signal down to where the PCM will think it has failed. Oddly when this happens you can sometimes remove the eliminator and the PCM will be happy for a while until the sensor dies completely.

You can bench test a narrowband O² sensor with a multimeter and a propane torch.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Electrical tape will both hold it together and keep water out, however it could also be a weak/bad sensor--how many miles on them.

MIL Eliminators work by filtering the rear O² sensor output to reduce its amplitude and phase shift it a bit (more about that here). This makes the PCM believe the cats are still there and working as the cats use oxygen in the conversion process making the rear O² sensor signal lower.

Obviously for the eliminator to do its job requires that the rear sensors be working properly, at issue is that as PZ (Platinum/Zirconia) O² sensors grow old their output voltage drops. Often it drops to a point where the further reduction introduced by the MIL eliminator pulls the signal down to where the PCM will think it has failed. Oddly when this happens you can sometimes remove the eliminator and the PCM will be happy for a while until the sensor dies completely.

You can bench test a narrowband O² sensor with a multimeter and a propane torch.
There is 50k on them, I will crawl under the car and check it out

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
Yeah, check them out. I had mine get screwed up when they slipped down and got scraped up on some road debris.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
How do they stay in place then if the tabs get cut off?
It an assembly key, there to make sure the proper pig-tail length sensor is installed at the factory that has to be cut off. It's not the main connector key or locking tab.

They mate with the small key slots on the harness connectors; the two front sensors have the same pigtail length but the rear left and right are different. As the connectors are the most expensive part of "store-bought" MIL eliminators the makers save a few bucks by only buying the same style. This makes removing the key necessary on one side.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just went under and nothing was loose. Does that mean its the o2 sensor?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Perhaps, it could also be a bad MIL eliminator (connector wiring, poor assembly, bad component) or that your tune strategy is not compatible with the "trick" that MIL eliminators use.

You could try swapping the eliminators and see if the DTC goes with it--P0136 is for the passenger side, P0156 would be the same code for the driver's side...

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I might run to my tuner to get the rear o2s turned off, would just be so much easier haha

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
With the rear sensors turned off, and if you have emissions testing in PA and they use the I/M (Inspection/Maintenance) monitoring PID to check for system readiness, you may fail inspection with them disabled in the tune.

Your tuner will know whether this is an issue or not...

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With the rear sensors turned off, and if you have emissions testing in PA and they use the I/M (Inspection/Maintenance) monitoring PID to check for system readiness, you may fail inspection with them disabled in the tune.

Your tuner will know whether this is an issue or not...
I got a guy for my inspections :naughty:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts