Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
procrastinationist
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to purchase some of my rear suspension from UPR and one of the things I'm getting is the coilover kit for Strange adjustable shocks (1979-2004 Mustang Maximum Rear Coil Over Kit Silver for Strange Adjustable Shocks - UPR Products). When ordering, you have to indicate your front spring rate (10-125, 10-150, or 10-175). How do I figure that out? I will be doing the front suspension in the spring (k-member, coilovers, etc...) before the Mustang hits the road again, so I want to have the rear set up for that and not the stock suspension. Also, the drivetrain that is in it will eventually be replaced or at least highly modified, so I'm wondering if I have to take that into consideration as well (i.e. weight changes)? Thanks for the info in advance.

Josh

·
procrastinationist
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you get MaximumMotorsports you talk to some pretty knowledgable people and they will tell you.
Yeah, I'm going to stick with UPR for several reasons, one of which is that I already have the shocks and Maximum Motorsports doesn't have a kit for Strange shocks. I'm sure that UPR could help me out as well, but I figure someone on here will know and it gives me something to do (conversing over MM) while I'm at work.

·
Premium Member
5,519 Posts
The three spring rates you mentioned are so close you are gonna need someone who's been there kinda thing. But those rates are good drag racing spring rates. You could grab the 150#s and go from there, the great thing about coilovers is it's cheap and easier to swap springs out. I doubt you will notice much difference between 25# rates.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Ah, ok. I guess that makes sense.
Wait for nxcoupe to chime in here... He's good with the UPR stuff and I'm sure he'd know what spring rate to go for.

Sent from my galaxy s II

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
In all honesty, you have to know what the weight of the car is on all 4 corners to know what spring rate to purchase. The reason they want the front spring rates is because that can affect on the rears too. The average joe isn't going to scale their car, so if you don't. It's a crapshoot either way. That being said, a 150 is a safe bet.

·
Proud American
11,288 Posts
In all honesty, you have to know what the weight of the car is on all 4 corners to know what spring rate to purchase. The reason they want the front spring rates is because that can affect on the rears too. The average joe isn't going to scale their car, so if you don't. It's a crapshoot either way. That being said, a 150 is a safe bet.
Agreed! Proper spring rates are something that I can tell you if you tell me the weight of the car, 4 corner weights, and ride height. And then when you get a spring all of that changes yet again. It is a slight guessing game.

·
procrastinationist
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yikes. I guess I can always buy one, say 150s, and then re-buy if I need to when the whole thing is finally complete. I guess it's unfortunate that I'm doing it in stages. I certainly appreciate the input. I did think that maybe nxcoupe or Mike in Kentucky (he just bought the same kit) might have something to say as well. I'm sure they will if they see the thread.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
Well, they are asjing for front spring rates so they can recommend rear spring rates. If your car is lightweight and a drag only, then you will want 14-130's. If its a heavier car that will see street duty, , 14-150's are their next spring up. I am not a fan of rear coil iver kits that use the stock shock lications to support the car, but thats me.
I sold another car, so Im getting close to getting another one to sell parts off of. Just an fyi.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Well, they are asjing for front spring rates so they can recommend rear spring rates. If your car is lightweight and a drag only, then you will want 14-130's. If its a heavier car that will see street duty, , 14-150's are their next spring up. I am not a fan of rear coil iver kits that use the stock shock lications to support the car, but thats me.
I sold another car, so Im getting close to getting another one to sell parts off of. Just an fyi.
Sweet. Keep us posted... I'm at that stage where I'm collecting parts for next year.

What rear suspension kit would you recommend for a street driven, mid 9 second stick car? Those are my goals.

Sent from my galaxy s II

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
Ive got all upr stuff. I like the light weight and adjustability. There are other manuf out there, Im just comfortable with this one. Whatever brand, just make sure double adjustable uppers with spherical bushings. Theyre noisy but they work well.

·
Premium Member
5,519 Posts
Ive got all upr stuff. I like the light weight and adjustability. There are other manuf out there, Im just comfortable with this one. Whatever brand, just make sure double adjustable uppers with spherical bushings. Theyre noisy but they work well.
That's a lot of nvh with that. Hope its just a straight line car.

Sent from my XT907 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
So the full UPR kit would be fine? (front and rear coilovers with their provided a-arms, k member, strange shocks etc)

Just wanna buy a kit instead of piecing it together... It's a helluva lot easier.

Sent from my galaxy s II

·
procrastinationist
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am not a fan of rear coil iver kits that use the stock shock lications to support the car, but thats me.
I'm guessing that I understand your reasoning, but unless I can find a set of the other type used, I can't, or at least don't want to, afford them. Those kits are easily 2-3 times the cost of the stock location kits.

Will you have any of the stuff on my list? I'm at the point where I'm ready to buy the rest of my rear parts to wrap up that kit.

I like the idea of getting a kit. Should be a better balance. Piecing it together sometimes means you get mismatched parts.
Basically that's what I'm doing, but I'm buying the pieces as I can afford them. I'm going UPR with the exception of the Anti-Roll bar, which I'm getting from Team Z so I can keep my tailpipes.

·
procrastinationist
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Team Z is who I would buy a kit from.
I would have loved to go Team Z, but I started assembling a UPR kit before I had even heard of Team Z. Also, the parts are pretty much the same between them and UPR other than the UCA setup from Team Z, and if I really wanted to I could always switch over to that and re-sell my UPR UCAs.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
I would have loved to go Team Z, but I started assembling a UPR kit before I had even heard of Team Z. Also, the parts are pretty much the same between them and UPR other than the UCA setup from Team Z, and if I really wanted to I could always switch over to that and re-sell my UPR UCAs.
If there was any benefit to switching, I wouldnt blame you. Lots of folks have gone really fast with both. Stick with what you have.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts