Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have problems with misfires on a supercharged car in cold climates?
Put in my KB blower last spring. Ran great for 3,000 miles (qll last summer) but started to misfire this winter--driveability quickly deteriorated until I couldn't top 50 MPH. No problems with vacuum, coils, etc, but the plugs were fouled with black soot. I got codes for left bank rich, #6 misfire and random misfire. Replaced plugs and ran great for about 100 miles or so, but now starting to misfire again at higher RPM and throttle (no codes yet, though).
I installed Autolite HT-0 plugs (one heat range colder than stock) as recommended by Kenne Bell, but am wondering--is it possible these plugs are too cold for use on short trips in a cold climate? Most of my trips since these problems started are a mile or two, with the longest being 20 miles. Temperatures have been mostly below zero, with a few days as low as -20. I'm wondering if the plugs are not retaining enough heat to burn the fuel completely, starting a snowball (pardon the pun) of plug fouling and misfires.
I am considering putting the stock plugs back in. I run 8 PSI of boost. Any advice?

·
Your Mom's Favorite
2,452 Posts
I'm running stock heat range plugs gapped to .025" right now, will probably get the FRPP 0-heat plugs this spring. You are experiencing spark blow out. I went through the same thing this summer. Gap the plugs, and it will run like a champ.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How can thos plugs be gapped? The Atolite HT-0 plugs I'm running now and the stock Motorcraft plugs both have a U-shaped band around the electrode--they don't look they can be adjusted at all.

BTW, how did you get your car to show up on your post? I tried to add a photo to my signature, but it still doesn't show up.

·
Your Mom's Favorite
2,452 Posts

·
Your Mom's Favorite
2,452 Posts
BTW, how did you get your car to show up on your post? I tried to add a photo to my signature, but it still doesn't show up.

You really have to make sure that the photo fits into the pixel dimensions , I had to keep changing the size and even the quality of the pic to finally get it to show up. You military?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Grabber--that's spooky how much your experience matches my own, right down to the local yokel mechanics scratching their heads and charging me 500 bucks for useless exploratory surgery. I ordered the gapping tool from PMP today--hopefully that'll kill this thing for good. After bragging on my car all summer, I've really been eating a lot of crow lately. Like you, I am my own chief mechanic--put in the kit myself and was darn proud of it until it started acting up on me.

Yes, I am military--Minot ND.

Have you had any problems with detonation using the stock heat range plugs? Kenne Bell positively insists that using stock heat range plugs is playing with fire for supercharged cars. I'm thinking of gapping the HT-0 plugs that are in the car now for starters, rather than using the stock plugs I just bought. The car has only been misfiring for maybe 25 miles, so I doubt the buildups can be that bad--my guess is any buildup will burn off once I gap the plugs, if it works as you say. (which I don't doubt)

·
Your Mom's Favorite
2,452 Posts
Nope. The reason I went through so many plugs is cuz as soon as I started to feel the misfires, the plugs were shot. Get a new set of plugs and gap them. Trust me. Get new ones. I haven't been getting detonation, but you know how cold it's been this winter. Like I said, 0 heat range plugs are going in this spring. Come out for a show n shine in Grand Forks sometime! I don't really have any competition on the streets here. And I'm FAR from done with my build.

p.s. KC-135 Crew Chief here...

p.p.s. I'm going to be running Motocraft plugs...a lot of guys are running the HT0's with luck, but my car absolutely hated them, even with the proper gap...just a heads up if you get them below .030" and are still running like ****. (Yup, that happened to me too...)

·
Registered
817 Posts
I have experience the same issue at idle.Did the install myself also ran fine except there was a distinctive noise at idle,then i started feeling tremors along with the noise and eventually misfire codes.Mechanics definately scratch their f..king heads because people just can't figure these suckers out.We on this forum are all crazy we take brand new cars and perform various acts,turning them into monsters.When i was finished with the disassembly i was like what the f...k did i do. KB made sure that you would not want to take their kit of because of the stock reinstalling procedure and expense you would go through.On some real **** they need to hire some more people and open a call centre because i hate the relationship i have had to develop with the redial button just to get help with somehting.Worse yet being told they never heard of that before.

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
Hellbred, I did the KB install for Heavy GT and we went through some ecu programming hell with them. I have to say this though, they were very helpful, stayed on the phone past hours, even gave out personal cell phone as we next day air'd about 4 SCT programmers back and forth, then came home from our day jobs to hash out the problem. In the end they spent about an hour on the phone with us on a Monday evening and discovered Heavy's throttle body had been seperately flashed. Was a simple coding fix and we were in business. They get a ton of bad press, they definately need a larger staff, but I wanted to let people know that when there are serious issues they help out.

ND - As for the misfires, this isn't just a cold weather thing with the KB. It happens in normal weather too. Bad spark blow out, and those that don't install the oil separator are destine for these misfire problems especially with plugs that are not gapped down. Let me be clear this is not a KB problem, it's the design of the head and how easy applied boost can kill spark within. Pinching down the gap on the plugs dramatically changes that.

Grabber is a testimate, he was headed for coil packs as I recall. In the end he probably spent just as much in plugs, as he would have on coils.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Emay don,t get me wrong i am not trying to talk bad about the staff they have a couple of guys in their that have tried to help me, for instance Mike and James.But from where i am standing when a guy spends close to 6grand on a product for a more or less brand new car and it starts running badly,it can become a sleepless,frustrating situation.I know.Especially if there is no one around that can help without you having to pawn your lungs and still you have to question their knowledge on the situation.I love the product but like i said KB Needs to expand their technical staff even if some of us don,t have serious situations but just need to hear its normal,its fine etc.Peace of mind,thats all.

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
I beat Eleanor everyone thinks that because I'm anal about the cleanlines that she's babied. They find out differently when we hit the pavement. Heavy and my brother with his 03 cobra also run their cars hard, we didn't build em to leave them un-used.. We'll have some shots and video up soon as the weather breaks as everyone has made power advancements and we are all itching to put it down..

As far as the intercooler goes, Heavy did the same thing ding the intercooler later. I just finished all that up for him. He got them to reduce the price a bit, so talk with James and see what he'll do. Outside of that, try any vendor carrying their product. Sometimes cost savings can be had there..

Heavy, if you see this can you PM Hellbred and let him know what KB reduced it to for you? I can't recall what you told me...

·
Registered
817 Posts
Emay was the manifold disassembly difficult,also how did you open the holes in the rear of the manifold.Also was there another reason for heavy upgrading besides wanting more power

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
His wife had made the purchase as a early christmas / wedding gift and to keep cost down he initially purchased the blower non-intercooled with full intention of adding it later.

I'll tell you first hand, you basically do the whole install over for the most part by doing it this way.

The manifold holes are already there, they have plugs in them that you simply remove and add in the nipples for hose connection. You also seperate the upper and lower parts of the intake to install the intercooler inside and then re-assemble. Not rocket science.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Well i went to a kb dealer in my area to get the car pulled they told 12.50 at the top is a little lean.So i had the car tuned also hoping to get rid of that sometimish shake while idling.Overall the car drives lighter my fan is not running all the time like it was with the original tune but he said it is really hard to fix and idle issue and said his car did the same thing.Funny i have never seen there shop 05 so i couldn't say.Emay any feedback on this.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is anybody other than Grabber still running stock plugs? Any issues with detonation?

I ask because I have a brand spanking new set of stock Motorcraft plugs just waiting to be gapped, and I look forward to dumping a C note on a new set of HT-0s like I look forward to a sharp stick in the eye. KB says using stock plugs is playing with fire, but Grabber's seem to be working fine with the .025 gap.

I, too have had good response from KB when I had questions although I'm surprised they didn't mention this whole spark blowout thing--everybody else seems to know about it. (except me, of course)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts