Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the winter i usually wait for my motor to warm up to its normal operating temp before i have a little fun. I always let it warm up because thats just what i heard you are suppose to do. Well the other day i nailed the throttle as i was getting onto the highway and i didnt let my motor warm up. it just completely slipped my mind, i was in a bit of a hurry. I noticed the acceleration wasn't as quick as it usually is when the motor is warmed up.

So my question is... Do people let their motor warm up because the car wont go as fast if they dont let it warm up or is it actually bad for your motor to nail the throttle when its not warmed up?

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
it will run better cold... but its not good on the life of the motor... but its not like your motor is gonna go knocking next week or anything so dont worry.. ha

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
My Mom of all people told me about 30 years ago that the The purpose of warming up your car on cold days is to warm the oil so it is flowing smoothly into all areas of the engine before you over power it. Really cold days can make for slow flow. now my mom's no mechanic but it always made sense to me.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
"my momma says it makes you medula oblengotta work betta"...lol...and +1

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have hit it when my car was still cold and pulled a lot harder so i dont know why your car felt slower

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Letting a motor warm up allows oils to circulate and the tolerance to tighten. Metal expands when warn making the tolerances tighter. Hotrodding a cold engine means you are hotrodding a motor that has ever so slight larger tolerances in rod bearing gaps, etc. Greater tolerances means that the rods are hammering the crank ever so slightly harder. It nothing to worry about once or twice, but over time it causes increased wear.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Letting a motor warm up allows oils to circulate and the tolerance to tighten. Metal expands when warn making the tolerances tighter. Hotrodding a cold engine means you are hotrodding a motor that has ever so slight larger tolerances in rod bearing gaps, etc. Greater tolerances means that the rods are hammering the crank ever so slightly harder. It nothing to worry about once or twice, but over time it causes increased wear.
This is the answer i was looking for. thanks man.

Well considering i have 61,000 miles on my car and im not the first owner who knows what the previous owners have done.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I learned from my own experiences....every car before the mustang i could turn the key and romp on it...not discrediting the mustang by any means, but on my current junk yard motor i have to wait for the engine to warm up. I blew my old motor due to a faulty PCM module, ended up swapping with a motor from a boneyard that supposedly had about 80k on it.

With this used engine i have to take it light till the engine gets warmed up...its in the early signs of a lash adjuster going bad...if the engine is cold and i romp on it, i get a stuck lash adjuster and bad problems...but if i let the engine warm up, i can romp on it all i want

·
The Shogun of Harlem
6,344 Posts
My Mom of all people told me about 30 years ago that the The purpose of warming up your car on cold days is to warm the oil so it is flowing smoothly into all areas of the engine before you over power it. Really cold days can make for slow flow. now my mom's no mechanic but it always made sense to me.
+1
That's fun. My mother told me something very similar, not my dad.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts