Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fiance goes to college and gets a grant that pays for her school entirely, her family is very very low income, along with her mother and father not being married.

I have talked with my CPA and a few others, with my income being what it is we are 110% sure she will lose the grant. We are getting married in September, so this fall she will be fine.

Should we not "Legally" get married until she is finished with school? I believe she will be done this coming summer, am I a piece of **** for doing it if I do?

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
My fiance goes to college and gets a grant that pays for her school entirely, her family is very very low income, along with her mother and father not being married.

I have talked with my CPA and a few others, with my income being what it is we are 110% sure she will lose the grant. We are getting married in September, so this fall she will be fine.

Should we not "Legally" get married until she is finished with school? I believe she will be done this coming summer, am I a piece of **** for doing it if I do?
That's really a discussion for the two of you.

If she can finish in a year, and you guys can hold off on the wedding so it doesn't put a financial burden on you, that is a smart move and it's not being a piece of ****. Couples fight about money a lot more than anything else. If you can get her degree for free, that's a huge bonus on you guys.

But, since y'all have already sent out the invitations, have it all scheduled up, etc. Find out how much her last year will cost, secure funding/loans, etc. Hell of a lot easier to pay off one year of college loans vs several years.

·
Registered
975 Posts
levi have you set the date yet? If she was okay with it I don't see it being a bad move....but that is between you two.

plus woodman is right. one year of school isn't bad to pay off unless she is going to some $30k a semester school. I feel sorry for my buddy right now cause he wants to get his masters for teaching. its going to cost him $21k over the next 2 years for classes alone.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its not a crazy amount like $20,000 but still, and we have already sent out invitations.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Hmmm, have people RSVP'd? Trying to explain that one to the guests.....hmmmm.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Are we talking like 50 close people or like 200? Wedding wise....?

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Well, assuming the venue allows the change, with 50 people that sounds like a change I would make. A lot easier to tell 50 close people via phone call

·
Hardcore Devotee
2,179 Posts
Well, assuming the venue allows the change, with 50 people that sounds like a change I would make. A lot easier to tell 50 close people via phone call
+1 paying back 20k in student loan debt is not worth it. I only have a little over 30k in student load debt but I can speak from experience that those loans do not move unless you put down large chunks to pay them off which may be difficult for a couple just starting out unless one or both of you has a good job.

·
The Boss is in
23,756 Posts
I'd hold the ceremony and just don't file the marriage certificate. Since you aren't technically married until the signed marriage license is filed with the state anyhow. And since you only have like 30 days to file it, it becomes obsolete once you miss the file date. Then when she is done with school, go to the court house, pay your few bucks for a new marriage certificate and do a "court house wedding" (which consists of nothing more than you two and two witnesses signing the license) to make it legal.

Then the only people that don't know you are "legally" married is your closest family. Its also a hell of a lot easier than moving a wedding date. And it only costs you the price of a marriage license again instead of $20,000 and moving a wedding date.

And then I would still be holding my anniversary at the date you had your wedding, not the date you made it legal at the court house.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd hold the ceremony and just don't file the marriage certificate. Since you aren't technically married until the signed marriage license is filed with the state anyhow. And since you only have like 30 days to file it, it becomes obsolete once you miss the file date. Then when she is done with school, go to the court house, pay your few bucks for a new marriage certificate and do a "court house wedding" (which consists of nothing more than you two and two witnesses signing the license) to make it legal.

Then the only people that don't know you are "legally" married is your closest family. Its also a hell of a lot easier than moving a wedding date. And it only costs you the price of a marriage license again instead of $20,000 and moving a wedding date.

And then I would still be holding my anniversary at the date you had your wedding, not the date you made it legal at the court house.
This may work. I make more then enough to pay for her schooling but why pay if I dont have to.

·
The Boss is in
23,756 Posts
This may work. I make more then enough to pay for her schooling but why pay if I dont have to.
Hell yeah, don't place unneeded stress on yourselves.

I'd contact via phone the local county clerk where you purchase the marriage license at. Don't introduce yourself by name. Just ask how getting a marriage license works (even though you already know but you gotta make yourself sound dumb to the situation) like how much it costs and what you need to bring to get it. Then slip in the question how long you have to file after the wedding. Then find out if it becomes void after that X amount of days.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hell yeah, don't place unneeded stress on yourselves.

I'd contact via phone the local county clerk where you purchase the marriage license at. Don't introduce yourself by name. Just ask how getting a marriage license works (even though you already know but you gotta make yourself sound dumb to the situation) like how much it costs and what you need to bring to get it. Then slip in the question how long you have to file after the wedding. Then find out if it becomes void after that X amount of days.
Sounds good

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,218 Posts
Coming from a person who recently divorced and paid off my student loan in full at 47k and my ex wife's student loan in full at 39k plus divorce fees ect skip the entire thing and stay ****ing single. I'd own a ferrari right now if I did

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,218 Posts
Coming from a person who recently divorced and paid off my student loan in full at 47k and my ex wife's student loan in full at 39k plus divorce fees ect skip the entire thing and stay ****ing single. I'd own a ferrari right now if I did
Sorry I'm still bitter

But really, make sure it's the right ****ing decision. And I mean 100000000000% right

If so, hold off on the wedding unless you got a good job to pay off her debt. Have you seen the job market? College graduates aren't getting high paying jobs anymore, people with experience are. Unless those people are paying fat stacks as wedding gifts and the wife gets a job while in college.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts