Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all... my brain is hurting from all the info regarding if these comp270's will work for me. I know I should go blower cams but 270's is what I want. I have upgraded springs and notched pistons in my new shortblock the builder is putting in, but a rep @ Jeg's told him I need a new stall converter. The Comp site says 270's designed for 2000+ stall. I have 2002 Automatic with stall specs at 2324 to 2737 as per Ford's manual so I'm wondering if the Jeg's rep just thought it was lower and misinformed my builder. I should be fine right? any thoughts welcome....

PS... I have 4:10's with a Vortech V2 ~ 10psi

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
do a stall over the cams..it will help you a lot more

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
those cams actually perform very well for S/C applications (I will attest to that)

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
although the factory converter can flash stall around 2200, thats not gonna help you.

you'll need an aftermarket converter for the car to run/drive correctly.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Ac where the hell you been man lol...what made u come from the dead and start posting again lol...

·
Registered
678 Posts
My car is NA but Darrin at BC Automotive told me that I would need something in the 4200-4500 range to with my 270's. I would think you will most definitely need a higher stall converter. I would suggest contacting either Darrin ( BCA home ) or Alan ( DirtyDog Performance (Powered by CubeCart) ) to get their reccomendations for your setup.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The deed is done... 270's sound amazing. So much more lopey than the 268s Along with my blower in my auto, screeches all 4 gears. No noticeable difference using stock stall. Driveablility seems the same. Just FYI

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
My car is NA but Darrin at BC Automotive told me that I would need something in the 4200-4500 range to with my 270's. I would think you will most definitely need a higher stall converter. I would suggest contacting either Darrin ( BCA home ) or Alan ( DirtyDog Performance (Powered by CubeCart) ) to get their reccomendations for your setup.
wow, Id tell him thanks but no thanks and take my car somewhere else. What else did he tell you, You need to run 110 octane to run a hand held programmer, oh wait, did he also tell you that you need a 4 link with mini tubs to run nitto drag radials:confused:

·
Registered
366 Posts
Mod motors love stall. 3800 is a low stall when performance is the goal. I agree 4200-4500 because that gives you maximum multiplication. That does not mean the car will not move until that rpm it means that if you have a transbrake you can take it that high without moving. These transmissions get away with more stall than older transmissions because the lockup can make them 1:1 so gas mileage does not suffer at all. You can launch hard and still cruise at reasonable rpms. 4.10 gears will hurt the gas mileage a converter will not. Many people use the old way of thinking and find the 4200rpm stall crazy. Once you try it you will completely change your mind. Can you get away with less stall, of course the factory unit is truely rated at around 2800 on the 96+ mod motor cars and the 05+ are a touch higher than that. Without a brake you will not reach true stall. Darrin and I spent a year testing all kinds of stall and gear combinations and here is what I come up with on mod motor cars. If you want the best of both worlds do 3.73 gears and 3800 stall. That setup will give you gas mileage about the same as stock. For a more performance oriented application that doesn't mind getting a few mpg less go 4.10's and 4200 stall.
Alan

·
Registered
678 Posts
wow, Id tell him thanks but no thanks and take my car somewhere else. What else did he tell you, You need to run 110 octane to run a hand held programmer, oh wait, did he also tell you that you need a 4 link with mini tubs to run nitto drag radials:confused:
Like Alan posted, these aren't old school C4 transmissions behind huge push rod motors. Having a lock up converter makes a huge difference in the way it drives. The 3800 stall I have now might as well be a stock converter. I'd trust a reputible transmission builder (Darrin) or converter builder (alan) any day.

·
I like boobs!!!
3,869 Posts
I have the COMP 270's and I'm here to tell you that you will hate your car if you don't upgrade your stall. I have a 5spd so it's not an issue for me, but those cams don't even think about coming on until around 2600-2800. Without a stall your car will be a DOG

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
Like Alan posted, these aren't old school C4 transmissions behind huge push rod motors. Having a lock up converter makes a huge difference in the way it drives. The 3800 stall I have now might as well be a stock converter. I'd trust a reputible transmission builder (Darrin) or converter builder (alan) any day.
I know this, but 270's are a mild cam and saying YOU HAVE TO HAVE 4200 plus convertor is a little extreme. In a basic street car that sometimes see's some track time a convertor that big is gonna lose efficiency on the big end.

Theres a member on here that had this problem with a person on this boards convertor doing that, switched to a little bit smaller convertor and it fixed a lot of problems there were surfacing

one of the two names listed has some ok stuff at best floating around and is kind of losing his title

·
Registered
678 Posts
They had a problem with the converter doing what? I can tell you that the 3800 single disk PI in my car might as well be a stocker. The best I could get out of the car after the switch to an auto was 13.30 but that doesn't really matter much since it will be yanked out and replaced with a face plated TKO500.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I know this, but 270's are a mild cam and saying YOU HAVE TO HAVE 4200 plus convertor is a little extreme. In a basic street car that sometimes see's some track time a convertor that big is gonna lose efficiency on the big end.

Theres a member on here that had this problem with a person on this boards convertor doing that, switched to a little bit smaller convertor and it fixed a lot of problems there were surfacing

one of the two names listed has some ok stuff at best floating around and is kind of losing his title
Running big stall does require some experienced tuner expertise, the benefits far outweigh the negative effects. You have to decide what you want. If you want a smooth cruising ride liek a town car then keep it stock. If you want hard launch you need stall.
Alan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts