Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Not Banned
6,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today was the first day i decided to test fit my new 127500 cams onto my ported stock heads. I grabbed the drivers side head and cam for the test fit. I unbolted the caps, dropped the cam in, bolted the caps back on only finger tight, and attempted to rotate the cam by hand. Failure. The cam would only rotate about 200 degrees before multiple large burrs on the phaser end of the cam would stop up against the front cap. Knowing comp's reputation, I was surprised to see that they would let something like that get through their QC. Has anyone else ran into quality issues with comp cams or am I the only one?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Someone posted something similar up on the s197 forum a few months ago. I think it was tmcolegr on there in his engine build thread if I remember correctly.

Reactions: 101fng

·
Registered
157 Posts
I had the same issue with the drivers side on a set of Brenspeeds Detroit Rockers. I called them about it and they said it has been happening on and off lately. They said it is fine to just file off the burrs.

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
same thing, but mine was a bit more than a burr. i just sent the cam back and got a new one

·
Not Banned
6,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Someone posted something similar up on the s197 forum a few months ago. I think it was tmcolegr on there in his engine build thread if I remember correctly.
thanks for the tip. i found the thread and his burrs were in the same EXACT spot as mine. what the hell is the deal with comp cams?? it still blows my mind that their QC is nearly non-existent...

oh well, easy fix on my part. i'll just file the bitch down.

for all you guys considering comp cams, make note that this seems to be a fairly common problem. its an easy fix, but we shouldn't have to do this. had i put these cams in without a dry fire, i could've lost my front cap and possibly the rest of the valvetrain. that burr was no joke.

·
Not Banned
6,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
btw, while i had the cam on, i tried out the spring compressor tool.

the ported heads have what i believe to be stock valve springs in them so i tried removing them. well, i'm using the freedom compressor with the correct foot to remove the springs, but i cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the keepers out...

idk if i'm just not putting enough leverage into it or what, but when i push down on the compressor tool, the spring (with the valve, retainer and keeper) compresses until the valve hits the bench and won't go any further. :dunno

is it possible my keepers are seized in there or something? i tried on a couple different springs with no success. surely theres a trick to this. i figured it would be a lot easier after reading about so many people "accidentally" dropping the keepers during a NSR cam swap.

any help is appreciated

EDIT: nevermind lol. i found a thread on s197 where someone asked the same question and you hooked them up dysan.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
How many cams does comp make a year? A few incidents is accepted by any company. And if you and a couple of other guys have markes on the same spots on the cams then is was faulty tooling and the laziness of one tech who probably noticed the problem and said the cams were fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts