Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
procharged gt
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i tried the search button but didnt get what i was looking for. What i want to know is are these cams a good choice with a blower. I already have them so i hope they are suitable for my application. I know that they may not be the best but everyone has thier opinion about cams. Just wondering if anyone has them in a blower car. the car will be going to Fastlane Motorsports after the first of the year for install and re-tune. looking for 450-470 whp @ 10lbs.

specs.
int exh
ave dur:mad: .006 267 273
dur @ .050 230 236
lift 495 .495

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Dont know about the cams. But Fastlane does great work!

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
I am far from a cam expert so I looked up the specs on some blower cams. Your duration is a little longer (not much) and the lift is a little shorter. How well they work will depend on the LSA. The cams I looked at had an LSA of 114. A lower LSA will mean more overlap and more boost will escape because of scavaging.

·
procharged gt
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dont know about the cams. But Fastlane does great work!
Yeah I know a few guys that have been plus its only an hr away.

I am far from a cam expert so I looked up the specs on some blower cams. Your duration is a little longer (not much) and the lift is a little shorter. How well they work will depend on the LSA. The cams I looked at had an LSA of 114. A lower LSA will mean more overlap and more boost will escape because of scavaging.
I know dick about cams. I was going to get the hp 292 blower grind, but my dad got me these for Christmas. If they are totally wrong for what I need I will return them.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
450 on 10lbs is asking for alot with a p1 and cams...whats the LSA of them? i know ALOT of people that run the 270s..i believe hte 268s where designed more for the non pip motors reason so low on lift

·
procharged gt
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
450 on 10lbs is asking for alot with a p1 and cams...whats the LSA of them? i know ALOT of people that run the 270s..i believe hte 268s where designed more for the non pip motors reason so low on lift
I have a p-51 intake. Full exhaust with lt's,gears,and upgraded fuel system. Im almost 400 now. I checked the comp website, the lsa is 114. They have a new blower cam that I am going to see if I can swap for.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Go to modular head shops web site and just read thru the tech section. You will learn a lot there about what cam characteristics go with different power adders.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
p51 is wayyyy over kill and just a paper weight on a stock motor and loose some decent bottom end with it...your not going to pick up 60rwhp on the same boost with just a cam swap on stock motor with such low boost.. 114 isnt bad and will still work decent but there are better..

·
procharged gt
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This was at 8 lbs. Now at 10 with the 3.6 pulley. I talked with comp this morning, the cams a going back today with a refund. Looking at maybe hp292 or mhs. I want a drop in set with stock springs, not looking to go over 6400 or so on the stock bottom end.

Attachments

·
procharged gt
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
why not change springs?
588.17 plus the extra labor to put them in. At my boost level I don't need them. I'm going to be doing all I want on the stock bottom end with the cams, no need to turn it that hard. A built motor may be in the future but not right now.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
why not change springs?
Higher rpms is one reason to change springs. Another is wear and tear. I've got 170,000 on my motor. I was told that I should change springs if I put in cams because of the mileage.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
If you want do make 450-475 you better plan on a built motor in your near future. I don't see you getting what you want with a set of cams but if you do be prepared for a new motor.

·
procharged gt
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you want do make 450-475 you better plan on a built motor in your near future. I don't see you getting what you want with a set of cams but if you do be prepared for a new motor.
What would be an average gain with cams. I know every car and tuner are different but what's a ballpark #

·
Registered
11,185 Posts

·
procharged gt
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
If you get a good blower cam you can probably gain 40-50rwhp+. You will see more gains though with more boost. Like I said earlier though I wouldnt run the car to 475rwhp like you want. I would keep it below 430. Then your still pushing your luck depending on the tune, how you drive, and how high your reving the car.

·
procharged gt
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gonna try and do a mild tune and see what we get. Car makes good power now, traps 115. Just want to finish it off with cams for now. If it makes more than I expect I will turn it down. Might start working on a built block on my free time when my work schedule changes. Then it's good bye p1 hello f1.

·
procharged gt
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, got the comps shipped back and buying a set of hp292 blower grinds from another member. Hopefully by the end of January we will have some new dyno numbers.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts