Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had purchased some comp cams awhile back they r slightly used with 2000 miles ob them but I only need one for my car right. Wat all do I need 2 do to install the cam and will it raise my compression ratio also

·
Registered
327 Posts
You do need both of them. Even though the engine is SOHC, there are 2 in it. There is 1 on either side of the engine block. A DOHC would need 4 cams i believe, 2 on each side. As for compression ratio i dont believe it will since cams are the key point in induction it creates HP by sucking more air into the system. To increase your compression ratio you would need to get a tuner. (Not 100% sure on the compression question)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Single Overhead Cam means that there is 1 camshaft per head driving both the intake and exhaust valves, and there are 2 heads, one on each side of the engine, so yes you need 2 cams.

The only thing that will change compression ratio would be changes to the volume in the cylinders. Cams are not inside the cylinder. Compression ratio can creep up from carbon build inside the combustion chamber, but other than that you would have to change internal parts to change the compression ratio.

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
You cannot change your CR without either changing your heads, head gaskets, pistons or cylinder bore.

You need both cams and there is a write up on it in the stickies. Use the SEARCH feature and it should come up.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Single Overhead Cam means that there is 1 camshaft per head driving both the intake and exhaust valves, and there are 2 heads, one on each side of the engine, so yes you need 2 cams.

can you believe that ive had to explain that to some people and they STILL dont get it??

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
some ppl should just not work on their vehicles:no

1 - 8 of 8 Posts