Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about doing a cam sum time this summer. Is the install itself difficult on our motors?

Would you suggesting having a shop do it?

·
MM's Mad Scientist
5,102 Posts
You can easily do it yourself if you have any mechanical ability. However, do yourself a favor, and look into the Hitech cams or a custom grind.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I dont' plan on getting blown but maybe nitrous should i just go with a mild set up?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, so if i went with hitech the stage 2 or 3 N/A set-up would be streetable?

·
MM's Mad Scientist
5,102 Posts
Alright, so if i went with hitech the stage 2 or 3 N/A set-up would be streetable?
Well, just a little FYI. You're talking to the guy with probably the biggest cams a streeted 2V has ever seen. Having said that, "streetable" is a very loose term. However, the Hitech stage III's would be totally tame for the street IMO.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright, Thanks man. I know its going to have a rough idle but that sounds like something worth it. Thanks for the help acmillr

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With that stage 3 will i have any clearance issues? and as long as i upgrade my valve springs i should be good?

·
MM's Mad Scientist
5,102 Posts
With that stage 3 will i have any clearance issues? and as long as i upgrade my valve springs i should be good?

For the stage III's, you will need to fly cut your pistons. The stage II's can be run with no piston notching. BTW: it is not imperative to disassemble your motor to notch the pistons. There are several kits made to notch pistons witht hevehicle still in the car. Check with a local speed shop, and they may be able to hook you up for a reasonable fee.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright, thanks again for the help, I got a month or so to decide.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will do, you guys definately saved me when i was installing my exhaust.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Did your car run like crap after the cam install? Surely you had to have it tuned...

I will be buying cams this summer. Something like a VT stage II.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
You can easily do it yourself if you have any mechanical ability. However, do yourself a favor, and look into the Hitech cams or a custom grind.
+1000

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Not trying to thread jack, but how much would it cost to notch pistons?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not trying to thread jack, but how much would it cost to notch pistons?
Thread jack? it's all good, i'd like to know too.

Info is info to me,

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
I don't wanna thread jack either, but since we're talking about cams here, I have some questions too? I wanna put in set of cams in Mach, I'm going to be pulling my motor to build my lower end. I figured, why not do the cams while the motor is out. My question is what are my options for cams for a 4 valve? I do plan on running the hellion twin turbo kit, so I will be lowering the compression. I know that I will end using a custom grind, but I haven't the slightest idea about cams for this car. I have had custom cams made, but that was for a diesel engine, and a bit different. Any help is much appreciated.

·
Proud American
11,288 Posts
I personally wouldnt flycut pistons with the pistons in the motor. I am a true believer of disaseembly of the motor.

anyway, I just got my cams from Comp today. A semi custom ground cam. But i couldnt go with the custom big cams because of PTV.

Hitech are some great cams.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I personally wouldnt flycut pistons with the pistons in the motor. I am a true believer of disaseembly of the motor.

anyway, I just got my cams from Comp today. A semi custom ground cam. But i couldnt go with the custom big cams because of PTV.

Hitech are some great cams.
QUIT PISSIN' ON MY FUN:mad:

:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts