Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to install the NSR 127020 cams. My concern is getting a tune that will pass the Texas emissions test.

Anyone have any experiences in this area?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Might be possible if you have cats and a tune made specifically to pass. I wouldn't count on it though. I have a buddy who had those cams and said it was incredibly hard to deal with on a daily basis especially with a/c on.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
Don't you need them on to pass the OBD testing? I know I need them on to pass. If they're not on doesn't it read not ready?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm pretty sure you need them on to pass an obd test or they will read not ready. With the cams, cats, and sensors on you should pass a computer test.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Don't you need them on to pass the OBD testing? I know I need them on to pass. If they're not on doesn't it read not ready?
Yes you are correct ALL emissions related sensors etc. monitored by the ECU must be on the car and working correctly to pass an OBD emission test. You cant turn the rear O2 sensors off so the check engine lite go's out. The car will fail inspection because the rear O2s will show a not ready status.

·
Insomniac
5,912 Posts
Yes you are correct ALL emissions related sensors etc. monitored by the ECU must be on the car and working correctly to pass an OBD emission test. You cant turn the rear O2 sensors off so the check engine lite go's out. The car will fail inspection because the rear O2s will show a not ready status.
Really cause I passed a obd2 test a few weeks ago with no cats on my car and turning off the rear o2's. The only time my car showed a not ready code was before I had turned them off

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
ya ^ you don't need the rear o2s, you can turn them off or get mil eliminators, and you won't have a code

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
Depending on local regs, some places allow 1 not ready and still pass, some don't. If you are allowed 1 not ready you can pass without without cats. Check into your local regs. If your car needs all of the systems, you need the sensors turned on and cats.
With that said, I had an old tune written by Doug from the original Bama tuning and he fooled the computer somehow and I ran four years without cats or sensors even installed. Now that I went to a local dyno tune I had to weld in cats and install sensors to pass.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'm in Houston. I have these cams, if you don't have cats, you will fail.

If you have cats, just call BAMA and get their "emissions tune". The rear O2 sensors have to be on and some other adjustments have to be made in order for your car to complete the "drive cycle". I was running the 89 octane performance tune and took about 90miles to complete the drive cycle which means all the "readiness monitors" turn on and read "ready".

I just went through all of this two months ago, sucked but finally passed.

I have an auto and don't have any issues with daily driving with these cams after a couple of months getting used to them. These sound by far the best cams out of Detriot Rockers and Hot Rods hands down.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm in Houston. I have these cams, if you don't have cats, you will fail.

If you have cats, just call BAMA and get their "emissions tune". The rear O2 sensors have to be on and some other adjustments have to be made in order for your car to complete the "drive cycle". I was running the 89 octane performance tune and took about 90miles to complete the drive cycle which means all the "readiness monitors" turn on and read "ready".

I just went through all of this two months ago, sucked but finally passed.

I have an auto and don't have any issues with daily driving with these cams after a couple of months getting used to them. These sound by far the best cams out of Detriot Rockers and Hot Rods hands down.

Thats exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I realize its been a while since Ive done an update. I ended up with the Comp Thumper cams. Everything went perfect and it passed inspection on the first tune. So far Im pretty impressed with them. It really pulls hard from 2000 to 6000. I, running ford racing shorties and 4.10 gears. I didnt lose any low end as others have stated. Follow the picture link below give a listen.
l

1 - 15 of 15 Posts