Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
KCCO
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I get comp stage 1's (262) for $200 from a friend or CMS stage 1's for $589 online? I want stage 1's so I dont have to change springs, and also so I have more useable power in the lower rpm's. Will there be much of a difference?

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
I've never been a fan of Comp cams. Get CMS. Will you be doing the install yourself? IMO, you should do longtubes and CMS stage 2's with springs. I think you'll be disappointed with Stage 1's.

·
KCCO
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never been a fan of Comp cams. Get CMS. Will you be doing the install yourself? IMO, you should do longtubes and CMS stage 2's with springs. I think you'll be disappointed with Stage 1's.
Yes install myself, which is why I'd rather not do springs, plus its just another $250 I can put towards longtubes, which will be my next mod. I was actually gonna get longtubes today but the prick I was all set up with just decided to tell me "his daddy sold them 2 days ago" :bs. I have intake, 78mm tb, spacer, 4.10's, bbk x pipe and flowmaster 44's. I think all my mods are in my sig

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
go for the comp 262's, cheaper and both cams are so comparable you wouldn't really notice a diff. I'm running 262's and have run a best of a 12.7 @ 105 thru an auto and short shifting @ 6k when they can easily rev up to 6500.

GL on whatever choice you make. :)

·
KCCO
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im 96.2% sure Im gonna go with the comps if we can figure out a way to do the deal, being that he doesnt have paypal (yet) and he's in Texas and Im in NY.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Comp cams are not a dedicated naturally aspirated nor a forced industion design. They work well in both setups. If you are trying to squeeze the most out of your motor NA than get the CMS NA cams. But if you see a power adder in the future and still want the benefits of a cam now while your NA, then the Comp cams will have you covered in both set-ups.

·
KCCO
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Comp cams are not a dedicated naturally aspirated nor a forced industion design. They work well in both setups. If you are trying to squeeze the most out of your motor NA than get the CMS NA cams. But if you see a power adder in the future and still want the benefits of a cam now while your NA, then the Comp cams will have you covered in both set-ups.
That's good info. Thanks Mizark. I have been debating going f/i in the future... And I think for $200, I cant beat it. I just wanted to make sure people weren't gonna be like "Those Comp cams are garbage and cause nothing but problems...."

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
CMS N/A cams work fine in a blower configuration also. I know a guy who made 296rwhp N/A with the cams and then slapped on an intercooled Vortech V2 SQ at 9psi and is now making 447rwhp.

·
KCCO
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Do you think I'll be able to get to 300rwhp with the comp cams and longtubes?

I know its not all about shooting for a peak hp number, but 300 was always something Ive been looking forward too, and I know the stage 1's also have more torque lower in the rpm range... Just think it'd be perfect if I can get to 300 and still have plenty of usable power under 3500ish rpm.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I didn't notice any low end torque loss with my stage 2's, the 8.18 in my sig equates to 12.7X in the quarter with only DR's and no front runners and no LT's

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Do you think I'll be able to get to 300rwhp with the comp cams and longtubes?

I know its not all about shooting for a peak hp number, but 300 was always something Ive been looking forward too, and I know the stage 1's also have more torque lower in the rpm range... Just think it'd be perfect if I can get to 300 and still have plenty of usable power under 3500ish rpm.
Probably not. I'm guessing 285-290rwhp with the 262's. I think I remember seeing someone hit 300 with the 270's.

·
Registered
697 Posts
CMS N/A cams work fine in a blower configuration also. I know a guy who made 296rwhp N/A with the cams and then slapped on an intercooled Vortech V2 SQ at 9psi and is now making 447rwhp.
What size pulley was "the guy you know" running? Those cams were probably bleeding off boost and the pressure would have been higher with a blower cam.

·
Registered
697 Posts
So you don't think I'll see 300 even with longtubes? And with the 270's, would I need to change the springs?
Honestly, you don't need to upgrade springs with this cam. It's recommended but not required. It's hard to float the valves on these motors unless you have boost pressure on the back of the intake valve. And the comp valve spring are not much better than stock.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts