Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm in english right now and I have to do a comparing essay of something I'm going to buy with in 6 months and it has to be $250 to $8000. I'm looking at buying fr500's so I'm going to compare tires for my essay. I'm going to run 265/35/18 and then 295/35/18 in back and I'm debating on Goodrich G force and Nitto. Comparing price, tread, miles/durability, and grip. Thanks for everyones input:cool:

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ugh..... no idea whats the better ones I like the goodrich KDW but thats the only one i really know

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
Every manufacturer has many tires in which to choose. Be aware that EVERY tire ever made is a high-performance one, just that the performance is for a specific catagory of traction :yes

Choosing a new tire :D

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
For background information go to Tirerack.com. They conduct surveys and test nearly every brand of tire that they sell. It's all published on their website.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well what are people running that they like?

·
Too Soon, Junior!
3,830 Posts
Haha your English teacher is not going to have any idea as to what's going on. we need to know a few things though:

-Climate
-Driving style
-Amount of track work
-Expectations for grip
-Necessary tread life (in miles)
-Budget

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
I'm running Continental ExtremeContact DWS. They are the top rated Ultra High Performance All-Season tire (check tirerack's testing). I drive my car winter and summer. Through rain, ice, and light snow (up to 6"). I sometimes drive agressively. These tires are rated with higher dry traction and corner stability than most high performance summer tires.

They are Z rated (150+ mph) and I think they're rated for 40,000 miles. My front tires tire should go that far. My rear wheels won't. I don't know why.

Here's the link:
Continental ExtremeContact DWS

·
Mach1 FTW
2,223 Posts
in the reviews on tire rack most guys seem to like the BFGoodrich KDW's with the exception of how noisey they are.

i myself see a pair in 295/35R18 for my car within a year

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Haha your English teacher is not going to have any idea as to what's going on. we need to know a few things though:

-Climate
-Driving style
-Amount of track work
-Expectations for grip
-Necessary tread life (in miles)
-Budget
I second that.

·
Disturbin' The Peace
4,121 Posts
I would do KDW's vs Nt555's or 555r's.
They stack up pretty well against each other. Good luck.

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
Hey guys I'm in english right now and I have to do a comparing essay of something I'm going to buy with in 6 months and it has to be $250 to $8000. I'm looking at buying fr500's so I'm going to compare tires for my essay. I'm going to run 265/35/18 and then 295/35/18 in back and I'm debating on Goodrich G force and Nitto. Comparing price, tread, miles/durability, and grip. Thanks for everyones input:cool:
This combonation of tires is likely gonna make your ABS sensors bark at you a bit :yes You are at .8" differential and 1" is considered enough to create issues. I recommend you stick with a 30 series out back to keep these tires nearer to the same diameter.

Jazzer :)

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What if i did 255/40/18 for front then? Well I live in Minnesota the streets are bad here. Its only a summer/nice day car. I don't have much for performance RIGHT NOW. My driving style is kinda like every other highschool kid. Gotta show off a bit in front of other ricers and ladies. Usually keep it in a straight line though I don't do any auto cross of tight turning. Idk my budget is around 1500 with the black chrome fr500 so i have around 800 for tires. Give or take just to give me a close estimate

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
255/40/18" tire = 25.9" so this would be better :yes

Makes no difference what kind of driving you do, if you have a differential of about 1" or more between front/rear tires with ABS brakes, you will have some issues with how they oporate. Just be sure to find a tire that meets your needs WHATEVER they are, so you don't find yourself looking for grip in a particular situation and not have it :no

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks jazzer a lot. So 255/40/18 in front and 295/35/18 in back will work. I don't want one to have a bigger wall then the other so my rims look weird and I'm thinking between Nitto nt55 or something like that or goodrich g force kdw

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
You need only to look up the specs of the size of tire you propose to install :yes

255/40/18" tire = 25.9"

295/35/18" tire = 26.1"

This puts you soo close as to make no difference at all with ABS brakes, but will be off on your speedo by an extremely small amount :yes I figure you will probably have only 2,456,381 miles when the ODO says 2,456,013 miles :D (just guessin' of course :shiftyeyes)

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Haha well that's not always a bad thing in that case. So ill probably get those. Well I found what I'm going to buy now just gotta work on this paper

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Or jazz what would be the best tire for 295/35/18 or 285/35/18. Haven't decided what size yet.

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
Either is just fine for a 10" wheel :yes

You will get just a slight bit more bulge with the 295, but nothing major at all. This may come down the the tires you want to run and the available sizes from the manufacturer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts