Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Just a quick, not so quick question. I'm working on saving for a setup with TFS heads, MHS-TFS cams, Track heat intake with monoblade tb, high compression, big bore, destroker shortblock. So this ideally is going to be revving to 8000+rpm, so the factory computer I dont think is going to keep up. I know that there is the FAST system, BigStuff 3, SDS, any more? Which one do you guys think would be best? I'll probably end up eventually putting on a blower or turbo and running low boost or high boost on E85, so this should be boost ready too.

Any input/suggestions? If you have questions to help with your suggestion, let me know.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I don't know but I will be keeping an eye on this so I too can know. My next step n my build is to change to a bigger TB, change the cams, and up my fuel set up. As it is spinning anything past 7K rpm is not really doing anything. I think the new cams and more air will help that. Then I will be in the same boat you are right now with the computer problem.

I too am thinking about putting a procharger or turbo on my car and run maybe 8lbs on 93octane with my water/meth and up the boost on race gas.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
megasquirt for 8 coils is gonna run like 800 bucks for everything, already put together. You just supply the sensors, coils etc etc. and mount the control box. I want to say its tuneable down to either 50 or 100rpms steps and has the ability for a few other controls, retards, delays etc etc

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Carb and an msd box!!!!
agreed...that trickflow intake not gonna do **** above 7200 rpms i dont think....you will need a sheetmetal intake to keep up or a victor jr and a carb..i would go with a fast works great..heard alot of problems with a mega squirt..

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The tfs intake is supposed to be one of the best intakes for high rpm performance. I'm fine with having to go Logan intake. I will not go carb though. This is staying fuel injected to retain as much driveability as possible. I completely forgot megasquirt. The western motorsports sds system is actually made specifically for the mustang, which is why I thought it might be a good idea to look at that.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
The tfs actually smokes the edelbrock above 7500 apparently....but very very few people actually spin higher than that. However, once you do spin that high, it is a whole lot more simple to slap a carb setup in top which is why it gets my vote in this case. The eddy with a carb is gonna give more flow then 99.99999% will ever need.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
since you say you plan on puttin a turbo on it...where are you trying to have the compression on your motor?

since you say no to a carb then get a logan... also to rev to 8000+ rpms you do realise how big your cams have to be right? just letting you know because i have already been thru all this with my build...but i be damn if im gonna change my computer lol...its a streeet car and stock computer can handle 1200hp haha so no reason for me to ever change to a big stuff or anything..

cams to rev that high will be huge and buckey at low rpms..

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The tfs actually smokes the edelbrock above 7500 apparently....but very very few people actually spin higher than that. However, once you do spin that high, it is a whole lot more simple to slap a carb setup in top which is why it gets my vote in this case. The eddy with a carb is gonna give more flow then 99.99999% will ever need.
^Yea, thats what Nick has been saying for a while that the TFS will show up the eddie at high rpm. I just simply do not want to use a carb setup, unless its using a carb style TB with fuel injection, like mentioned.

since you say you plan on puttin a turbo on it...where are you trying to have the compression on your motor?

since you say no to a carb then get a logan... also to rev to 8000+ rpms you do realise how big your cams have to be right? just letting you know because i have already been thru all this with my build...but i be damn if im gonna change my computer lol...its a streeet car and stock computer can handle 1200hp haha so no reason for me to ever change to a big stuff or anything..

cams to rev that high will be huge and buckey at low rpms..
I'm trying to get the compression into the 11:1+ range. I may end up just saying screw it and putting a large shot on the car if I get bored instead of boost. I just want to build an n/a car that will perform well.

I know the cams are going to have to be stout in order to turn big RPM. The reason why cam designers suggest such low rear gears is because it will get you out, and keep you out, of the range where the cams could be extremely bucky. But I'm just concerned about the computer because I dont want to build this motor, put the motor in, and find out that I need an aftermarket computer system and go and tear it apart again. I'd rather just do it once and get it over with. Plus it will probably be better for tuning purposes in the long run if I ever go big boost or something.

Has anyone ever tried using the Eddy Jr with their 1000 cfm TB?
I'd like to know this as well.

The megasquirt leaves a lot to be desired. (BTW never ever type in megasquirt.com at work, big time work warning!!) There are also the AEM, and haltech stand alones. There are more, but I forget the names.
I forgot about AEM, but never heard of haltech before. More info on any of these computers that you are all suggesting would be awesome!

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
which haltech computer system would work on our cars though?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Im at the point to where I need bigger cams to go any further. I reached their limit on the top end. but this combo deffinately makes for one fun car. I am still getting used to the new found motor power that I haven't even sprayed it on the street and have not had a chance to go a track with it yet.

What cams are you looking at getting to go with your setup teej281?

I am looking in to CMS stage 4's. they seem to be more like what I would be needing when reading about them on his website.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cms stage 4's, or mhs stage 4-6. Looking for healthy cams. Nick is usually pretty conservative on his cam grinds so I think you can go a little heavier on his cams but the cms looks good too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
which haltech computer system would work on our cars though?
haltech works great for our cars though most I know use bs3...The cool thing that some people have done is have the haltech wired in along with the stock pcm so you can still hookup the obd2 "pass" emissions and the dmv would not know the wiser. You can have the haltech just take over spark, fuel, etc. and have your stock pcm control everything else

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well the SDS is a piggyback I guess, which is good enough for me. I also have emissions here in PA. I have my rear o2's turned off with the o/r x and passed. It doesnt need to "pass" but it needs to be able to be plugged in to the obd2 port for emissions.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Any other input?

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
yeah.... 04 mach1 computers are the best as far as oem and i believe they can handle 8k rpm... heck, a friend of mines stock 99 computer is handling his 7200rpm. I know that is a big difference between 7200 and 8k, but i was just stating that his stock computer handles 7200... do some research on the 04 mach1 computer and see what you come up with

1 - 19 of 19 Posts