Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 04 GT with auto and I am converting it to a 5speed I just bought a 01 GT for the conversion parts will the computer work in my car or do I need a newer computer.

·
Gear Jammer
189 Posts
You can just get a tune for your auto computer.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That how to post is awesome and will be a big help but my question is still will the computer in the 01 GT work in my car or is it vin locked because I spent most my money on the parts car I don't have any for a tuner.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
The PATS system in your car will require you to reflash the new computer or the car won't run. When running an automatic you MUST use the auto computer, but I don't see why you couldn't run the auto computer with the 5 speed trans as it requires no trans control. Don't know and I've never tried it that way. If you have the entire you car you could pull the PATS module from it and place it in your car which would overcome the problem of reflashing the ECM. Keep this post up if you don't get a definite response, there are plenty of guys on here that can answer this question for you.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do have the whole car I got it for $2500 it has pretty good front end damage so I have every thing so where is the pats on the mustangs? I heard it was in the instrument cluster and that changing the pats you need the keys to go with it.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Yes on the PATS, cluster and keys. A tuner isn't going to fix the PATS problem, Ford will have to reflash the software to work with the PATS on your car. I don't believe a handheld tuner gives you the option of disabling PATS, if it does that will solve your problem. A human tuner can disable the PATS system. Check with Trick Tuners

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
one thing that everyone here is missing is that you have an 04' & the donor car is an 01' the computers wouln't interchange (without extensive tuning to the 01' computer or switching the whole cars electical system over to the 01's electrical system).

you'll need to have your computer either reflashed or buy a handheld tuner & have someone write a tune to it diableing the automatic trans features.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
one thing that everyone here is missing is that you have an 04' & the donor car is an 01' the computers wouln't interchange (without extensive tuning to the 01' computer or switching the whole cars electical system over to the 01's electrical system).

you'll need to have your computer either reflashed or buy a handheld tuner & have someone write a tune to it diableing the automatic trans features.
I didn't know that.... What's different from the 01 - 04? Both EEC-V right? I know there are differences between auto to manual computers but the programming and all other drivers are the same..... so I thought.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
As far as I understand it you can run a manual with an auto computer but not an auto with a manual computer because it doesn't have the appropriate drivers. I'm definitely not an expert on this topic but that has always been my understanding. As far as different model years not working... I was also under the impression that any EEC-V will work in any other EEC-V car (auto to auto and manual to manual of course).

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
i thought all 99-04 years would work as well.

and thats correct as well. auto has to use a auto pcm. manual can use auto pcm with a manual tune.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So with all this different info am I ok with my computer because I'm going to a manual do I even need to tune it because a manual doesn't have all the electronics?

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
You should be fine(I'm not 100% positive but I believe so, it's worth a try and won't hurt anything).... if it's not then the following applies.

The only thing you'll need retuned is to have the ECM reflashed to work with the PATS on your car. If you use the PATS and keys from the other car you won't need a reflash. If you are able to confirm that a handheld will allow you to disable the PATS you won't have to worry about any of it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The best way to go is to have a custom tune to shut off the auto functions. If you don't the PCM will be expecting feedback from the tranny and won't get it. After a while, the car will start doing funky things. If you put a new PCM in it, you'll still either need a custom tune to disable PATS (the theft light will still most likely flash though). You can take it to a dealer to the PATs reset, but you may as well get the other benefits from a custom tune if you have to pay anyway.

Handheld flashers with canned tunes usually do not give you the option of disabling PATs - SCT's and Diablo's do not. Delta Force's Special Forces software DOES let you shut off PATs.

The other thing is, while a different model year PCM MAY start and run the car, keep in mind Ford has so many different strategies for 2v's and 4v's and for each strategy there are maybe 3-4 or more box codes - each having subtle and sometimes not so subtle differences. You are always better off getting the same PCM box code or at least the same strategy PCM as you have, except for a manual.
Some box codes for '04 GTs are:
TGX0 - Strategy RTAJ1F3 - Auto
PTP0 - Strategy RFBFD0TA - Auto (next 3 also)
PTP0
PTP1
PTP2
RKN0 - Strategy RTAJ1F3 - Manual (Next 2 also)
RKN1
RKN2

For the RKNx box codes look for a part number 4R3A-RC

Hope this helps,

Don

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Beautiful response and seems to be a very well educated response as well. Reps issued.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
What is your Mustang background? hobby or professional? Programming experience?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts