Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I posted my Mustang problems on the ModdedMustang Facebook Group, but I figured I'd repost my issues here before I take any further action.

My 2001 Mustang will not start after sitting for 3 weeks. I am a college student and did not bring my car with me. I drove it all this summer with absolutely no problems. Left for college and my dad drove the car once of twice. I came back for Thanksgiving break and the car fired up just fine and ran well. Went back to school and just recently came back for winter break. The car had not been driven in that 3 week period. The car cranks just fine but will not turn over.

Battery is good.
Starter is good.
Full tank of gas.
Spark Plugs are firing.
Not PATS
I can hear the fuel pump when I turn the key to the on position.
Just replaced the fuel filter today.

When I replaced the fuel filter (thinking that it may be clogged) I primed the fuel line a good 6 or 7 times before I started her, and when I tried to start her up, she fired up! The car ran semi-rough for about 5 minutes, and then cut out... Like it ran out of fuel.

I am lead to believe that the fuel pump is on its way out and is not creating adequate pressure...

Do you guys think this is correct?
Is my best bet the fuel pump?

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could the fuel be bad? It could def be the pump but just a thought...
I had about 1/4 initially when the problem occurred. Put fresh gas in it yesterday. Now it has about 7/8 full tanks

+1 ^ but im leaning more towards the fuel pump going out on you did you test the pressure on the fuel rail
Good point, I should do the fuel rail test before anything else!

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
+1 ^ but im leaning more towards the fuel pump going out on you did you test the pressure on the fuel rail
What he said. When my pump was on its way out it took a year or so to do it. I had these starting problems every now and then but after priming it ran for a good while. Fuel rail test confirmed it the day it died. all i did was use half a water bottle and a pen though, i had zero pressure so it was easy to tell lol

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What he said. When my pump was on its way out it took a year or so to do it. I had these starting problems every now and then but after priming it ran for a good while. Fuel rail test confirmed it the day it died. all i did was use half a water bottle and a pen though, i had zero pressure so it was easy to tell lol
What was the half water bottle for?

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
What was the half water bottle for?

the half water bottle was to catch any fuel that may come out, dont go pressing it if your not sure if there is any pressure or not.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Make sure to check your grounds. I had corrosion build up and I was searching all around my car for why it wouldn't start. Just unbolt, clean with a scuff pad, and bolt back down. My would turn "on" but it wouldn't crank at all until I cleaned it and then no problems. Hope you get it figured out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts