Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my pony masters (and masteresses), Sunshine here with a starting issue that most likely has a very simple solution yet I am baffled. The 1989 Gt 5.0 does not want to turn over. Put key in ignition, turn once, fuel pump hums, dash lights turn on, all good to this point. Go to crank this little lady up and get the starter trying to turn the engine over but yields nothing. First thought: battery. Now I will give y'all a heads up, this battery is four years old. Had battery tested, report was battery was full charged 100%. Cranking amps: within normal range. Replaced the original starter module a month ago, cranked every time it was asked to. Now, the starter just turns it over and it does not fire up. And yes, I do have gas according to both fuel gauges. Anybody have some additional thoughts?

Thanks-

Sunshine:surprise::surprise:

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Both fuel gauges? Why two? Is one for fuel pressure? If so, what is the fuel pressure reading? You need fuel, spark, and air. Check all three. If just one is missing, the engine will not start.

·
Qwik Enuff
773 Posts
Do this to verify what youre missing.
1) get a can of starting fluid or carb cleaner.
2) remove the breather tube,that runs between the throttle body and valve cover, from the throttle body
3) spray starting fluid into the throttle body through the breather tube port
4) reconnect the tube
5) attempt a startup

If the engine starts and runs for a few seconds then dies,youve got a No Fuel condition.
If the engine doesnt start at all,youve got a No Spark condition.

Post your results and we'll list trouble shooting info for your No Fuel or No Spark condition.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts