Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else experienced continual failure of the crankshaft positioning sensor?

Car is a not really a daily driver, but is started often, and driven about once a week. Car was running fine, came out one morning, and got a no start. after checking, got no spark and no fuel i checked the crankshaft positioning sensor, it was shot. Replaced it, got the car running, let it sit overnight, went to car and got another no start, and same issue with no spark or fuel... Checked the sensor again, replaced it, and now once again wont start, getting no fuel, and no spark...

Been to the mechanic, he replaced the sensor twice, he ran diagnostics on PCM, checked the same things i did, and here i am with the same issue... What could be the cause? Possible short maybe?

Any help would be great....

·
Registered
54 Posts
I went through 3 in about 9 months. I would get the sensor from Ford or Napa. One from Autozone lasted me maybe 4 months. My last one I had lasted 3 weeks. My timing wheel exploded and took it out. Hopefully it's not your timing wheel starting to fail.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've gone thru 4 sonsors thus far in 2 weeks... totally sucks donkey dung...

Dont think the crankshaft or camshaft sprocket would be the issue... But i havent ruled it out yet. Maybe the timing chain could be loose?... Weird thing is if it were a timing issue, i would assume issues would arise with drivability? And she runs fine when she runs... Its just the no start

Another thing i am considering after priming the fuel pump at lunchtime, maybe i just have a weak fuel system... But it still doesnt solve my no spark issue due to crankshaft positioning sensor failure. Fuel pressure when running is fine, i never checked pressure at start up.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Timing wheel is something different than your crank and cam sprockets. I've seen it also called the crank trigger wheel or a reluctor ring. Have you checked the connector for the sensor? My connector doesn't stay on the sensor. It'll pull off without much effort. The tab on my connector broke off, so it doesn't "lock on" as I would call it. I have a small zip tie holding it on.

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
How are you determining that the sensor has failed? Have you verified that it isn't a fault in the circuit rather than the sensor?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The connector is fine, as is the timing, and the fuel pump...

i checked the sensor with my multimeter, and i think i am supposed to get somewhere between .05-1.0 volts when cranking? i'd have to double check on that...im getting a .02-.03 when cranking. When i tested the new sensor, i got somewhere around .07 when cranking.
Each sensor was tested after failure, with the same results on the voltage. I know my mechanic ran pinpoint tests on the PCM, and PCM was getting crank signal with a new sensor was installed. If it is a fault in the circuit, we havent found it yet... But i have to go with a short somewhere... just dont know where...

Any ideas?

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
I'd run a continuity test on the wires from the connector to the EEC, while wiggling the harness as it routes from the sensor to the EEC. You may have an intermittent fault/short along one/both wires.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well problem finally solved. It was a wire routing issue. my mechanic told me the wire should have been run behind the intake, and under the EGR Valve... But the wire was not run correctly.... and it was resting on the base of the EGR Valve, eventually melting and cause the short.
Good riddens to stupid problems...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts