Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how often do they need replaced,i have 123k on the car but i dunno if the 1st owner replaced them or not,and are they pressed in or not.ill be changing my springs out this week along with my struts and i figured why i had it all apart id go ahead and change them also

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
do they look ok?

·
Registered
425 Posts
For all that trouble, I'd just buy a set of termi control arms. Stiffer bushings and better shape from the factory. I'll have to look more closely at the arms I just removed, but I naturally assume the bushings are pressed in like most.

Whenever I got poly bushings in my civic, I had to torch out all of the old bushings. Not worth it.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
^ lol what? He doesn't have an IRS so he cant use "termi bushings". Spherical bushings are going to be the best choice for most. They help correct the terrible 4 link geometry and improve articulation and binding. I Would look at just getting a set of newer, more improved LCAs rather than doing all the work for just replacing bushings.

Edit: Are you talking about the front A arms? You gotta be more specific. Yeah replace the whole A arm. Dont do just bushings. Poly bushings are junk btw.

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts
Whether your refering to the front or rear, you should think bout just upgrading that arms while your at it. the rears are relatively cheap and itll be much easier replacing the whole opposed to the bushings.

·
Registered
425 Posts
^ lol what? He doesn't have an IRS so he cant use "termi bushings". Spherical bushings are going to be the best choice for most. They help correct the terrible 4 link geometry and improve articulation and binding. I Would look at just getting a set of newer, more improved LCAs rather than doing all the work for just replacing bushings.

Edit: Are you talking about the front A arms? You gotta be more specific. Yeah replace the whole A arm. Dont do just bushings. Poly bushings are junk btw.
:shrug: pretty sure I said termi 'control arms' . I guess since I just did front control arms I had them on the mind and assumed that's what he was talking about... not so sure now, ha.

Agreed on the poly bushings though, not worth the effort and will just deform.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah my bad i meant a-arm bushing.dont have the money to spend on the whole new a arm.just the bushings. what is the best way to check them......lower control arms will come later in the summer

·
Registered
72 Posts
The a-Arm bushings are kinda molded in atleast thats how I felt with mine. The first time I changed some I used a torch and heated them up and they fell out. The second time (much easier) I used a drill and drilled a hole as close to the metal in the rubber, then took a hole saw and cut all the way around the bushing til the center fell out. cleaned the rest up with a wire brush and pressed the energy suspension ones in. Im being honest I dont know how many people have done the upgrade on factory control arms but I felt a difference.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
lol old thead :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts