Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
I just use motorcraft since that's what ford recommends. Can't go wrong with Mobil 1 though. Royal purple is nice, but I find it hard to belive that it's worth the price

·
SlowFiveOh
2,370 Posts
I use what ever full synthetic 5w20 oil is on sale. Im not very brand loyal.

Im told synthetic is better. But I occasionally hear people say conventional oil is better.

I dont know what to believe.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hear you actually gain HP with synthetic but it seems logical to change every 3000 mi vs leaving the oil in there for like 6000.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
i run mobil 1 full synthetic 5W-20 but not sure if your running 5W-30 or 5W-20 since you have an 01.... if your 99 to early 01 then 5W-30.... if late 01 to 04 use 5W-20.... also early 01's use 5 qts and late 01's use 6 qts but i recommend you use 6 either way for better lubrication and i would run full synthetic if you run it quick and rev it up if you drive normal you can go conventional if you want but i only run synthetic on mine but thats just me

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
I run what ever 5w-30 dino oil is on sale and a motorcraft oil filter. Syn oil in boosted cars promotes more blow by because of it's viscosity it's just slicker.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If your car has been used to conventional oil all its life, keep using it. If synethic, keep using that.

If you change from one to the other, the swell of all your seals changes a little bit. You have a decent chance of developing an oil leak. I'm not saying it WILL happen, but its a step towards causing leaks.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Depends on what kind of oil the car is used to really. If you are over 50k miles why bother changing it if there is a risk of damaging seals. As far as horsepower goes I doubt you would see a gain of more then 1hp if even that so I wouldn't focus my decision on that. Also about the fact that you have an 01, as dannyboy said the earlier 01's use a different weight oil (5w-30) and the manual/dipstick says 5qts is full. Check your door jam for the month your vehicle was made or just look at your oil cap. Either way make sure you use the proper oil and run closer to 6qts to prevent any excessive wear on your rings etc.

·
Registered
634 Posts
mobile 1 full syn. And the 3000 mi. is just a rough estemate(sp) when the oil starts to get dark that would be a good time to change it. If I am not mistakin that means the oil is breaking down. not good. keep track of the mileage so that way you know exacly when to change it. Also feel free to correct me if I am wrong about the oil I am not sure just seems logical to me.:)

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
I run what ever 5w-30 dino oil is on sale and a motorcraft oil filter. Syn oil in boosted cars promotes more blow by because of it's viscosity it's just slicker.
+1

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts
If your car has been used to conventional oil all its life, keep using it. If synethic, keep using that.

If you change from one to the other, the swell of all your seals changes a little bit. You have a decent chance of developing an oil leak. I'm not saying it WILL happen, but its a step towards causing leaks.
Your half right, Its not so much that the seals swell but conventional oil is thicker and can actually seal small gaps where the seals may be goin bad. I hate the Castrol commercials that say synthetic wont cause leaks. Technically they are but if you have a leak that was sealed by the heavier conventional oil the synthetic can leak through when that oil seal is worn down.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
I run Amsoil 0w30 in my car. Just use a quality oil that's at least a blend, preferably a synthetic with a good filter. Do not use Fram filters since they have poor anti drainback valves which can cause a lot of problems and noises upon start up. Amsoil, Mobil 1, K&N, Royal Purple, and Motorcraft all make great filters.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts