Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2004 Gt Mustang with Cai, t-body & upper plenum, o/r x pipe, cb, 410 gears and a sct tuner. I just bought a nx kit, plugs, and a pump and now I want to put a converter in when I put my nx kit on. I was looking at jegs and I found a B&M 3000 for 625$ I just want to know what kind of converters are people running?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Someone please mistake me if I'm wrong...but wouldn't you really only want that big of a stall with some cams?

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
Wait for casper gt to come around. I always forget the name of the company/brand he usually recommends but hes the guy to talk to about autos.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
Pecision Industries make good products. I would suggest a 3.5k to make it would it. A triple disc is not a bad idea either but 300 bucks more.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
off the shelf converters dont work well in these cars mostly because the main stream trans suppliers (ie. B&M, TCI, Hughes) don't adress the lock-up clutch & with their products you cant modify your lock up schedule to take full advantage of a lock up converter (they use stock lock up clutches & you'll burn them up pretty much instantly if you lock it at WOT). you'll also need either an anti-ballon plate or a billet cover since your spraying. PI makes a good converter but their stall speeds are spotty (ie. most likely wouln't stall where you want it). I would talk to Alan @ DirtyDog Performance (Powered by CubeCart) , he'll help you out & makes very good stuff.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Soooo I'm guessing I'm completley wrong? Lol no one even payed attention to what my dumbass said lmao...which now that I think of it...it is kinda nice... Go to the line and get your rpm's up for a launch like you would a standard...kinda wish I woulda bought a auto at times... For drag racing purposes...other wise I love my stick... Hold the rpm's out and listen to it growl

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Someone please mistake me if I'm wrong...but wouldn't you really only want that big of a stall with some cams?
these cars come with 2400 stall converters stock. 3000 is actually kinda low for an aftermarket converter, 3200-3600 is more like it. with cams I'd do a 3800- 4000 stall.

·
Registered
433 Posts
If you plan on running a stall with nitrous...I would look at a loose 3600....find a tranny shop that can build you one right....or get a hold of dirtydog performance...he will hook you up right..

"ED"

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What do you have done to your car? And do you think with a 3200-3500 stall the rear end is going to blow because I am spraying out of the hole.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
with 4.10's you'll wanna be carefull leaving on nitrous as you'll run outta gear quick (I leave a 1k & go across at 5800, N/A with 4.10's) & yes if your launching on nitrous you'll wanna up grade you rear end.

·
Registered
433 Posts
With an Auto you will be fine.....with a 5-Speed..dumping the clutch will be the problem...I am still using the stock axels on my car without issue....4000 stall and pulling the front end...

"ED"

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
i leave off the transbrake and nitrous stock rearend... with 4.10s and my pi3500 stall.. infact i just cut a 1.533 60ft last night... stock rear holdin pretty damn good.

·
Registered
566 Posts
This thread has made me want to keep my stock axles for now. Oh BTW there is a very reputable company on eBay making custom converters for $330 shipped. 100% feedback infact alot of guys i know are running them with no issues.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't mind spending the extra money for a really good converter because I want the best parts on my car and I only want to put a converter in once.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
This thread has made me want to keep my stock axles for now. Oh BTW there is a very reputable company on eBay making custom converters for $330 shipped. 100% feedback infact alot of guys i know are running them with no issues.
parts alone for a good tripple disc converter with a baloon plate or billet cover cost more than $330.00. good luck with those converters.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Do you guys think I should put a intake manifold on like the track heat from trickflow?
if you've got the money, why not. it wouln't help you go any faster/etc. now but might in the future.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts