Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

My convertible top has some holes around the back window. Two on top of it (maybe an eighth or an inch tall and less than an inch long, both of them), and one in the lower right corner.

The top two I'm not concerned about cause they are covered by the flap, but all the water runs down into the bottom hole and into the back of my car.

I went to my dealership multiple times but the most useful (ha) answers were "put a towel in the back" and "go to a trim shop and see if they can do something about it."

So I'll just ask you guys. Is there a way I can patch the hole? I don't have any pictures, but it's in the corner of the bottom right side of the window, and appears to go over a seam. I don't want to just throw tape in there.

Any advice? Other than get a new top. I plan on it eventually.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
well its not the best way, but it works... get some contact cement and use it to cover the holes... On my 86 vert the top is totally shot, so I have used this to patch a number of holes and even to glue some waterproof canvas to cover the big tears on the top untill I can get it replaced...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The hole at the bottom would have to be covered with fabric. Haha. But is there a place I can get some vinyl patches or something? Although the hole goes to the window, so whatever I do has to patch to the window somehow.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bump again!

It stormed really bad today, and the wind was blowing hard enough to push water through the sides of the top. Is that normal? Or does it mean that my whole top is ready to be replaced? I ask 'cause I've never owned a convertible before this one. I'm assuming that because of this experience, people don't take there convertibles through car washes. Lol.

I wish I had taken a picture before I cleaned it out, though, 'cause the area in the back where the top folds up had about 2 inches of water. The leak is that bad. I'm worried about the electronics that rest below that. Help me please!

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
was it coming through the top's fabric, or was it between the windows and the weatherstrip? You can replace the weatherstrip pieces pretty easily.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I doubt it's the vinyl. It has to be coming in around the weatherstrip and window. But I looked at it and the weatherstrip seems fine. So I dunno. But here's some pictures of the hole I want covered:

It's pretty bad.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
on that hole I would glue a piece of rubber of waterproof canvas on the inside but make sire the fabric covers at least an inch all around it.

as to your other leaks, close the doors and look at the joint between the window and the seal. put a dollar over the top of the window and close the door, how easy is it to slide the dollar around. if its easy to move,or there is a gap, your weather seals need replaced.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay. Where can I buy the waterproof canvas? And what should I glue it with?

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
The top is two part, a window section and the top section. You can replace one or the other or both. You can get the entire vinyl top for about 300 or just the glass section from 150 - 250. If you apply some material to the hole that is not compatible with the vinyl the holes become bigger.

Sent from my Nexus One using AutoGuide App

1 - 10 of 10 Posts