Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i am thnking about changing my crank driven factory fan to an electric fan, possibly a unit from a taurus. has any one done this? any ideas?

The taurus fan Im looking at has two speeds from factory. what Im thinking is mount the fan and shroud, and then key the low speed to a thermostatic switch set at 180, an the high speed keyed to a second switch set at 200...

thoughts?

Oh yea... 86LX, 3.8, Auto....

·
Registered
304 Posts
This is something that I always found interesting because it should be as simple as you described but there is a little more to it then people realize. If you have an electric fan you need to find a way to make sure it turns off when your traveling over 30-35mph, most factory electric fans do this because past that speed if the fan is on it actually creates turbulence that prevents air from traveling across the radiator. At a certain speed usually around 35mph this effect can cause the air to "stall" in front of the radiator causing the vehicle to overheat, several times I've had customers come in with cars that overheat at a specific speed that don't over heat above or below that speed due to a fan that was stuck on.

That begin said some vehicles aren't as sensitive to this problem and it won't drastically reduce airflow across the radiator if the the fan is spinning so you can get away with this far more simple setup that you have outlined. Try to find someone else who has done this to your specific car to find out if its an issue with that engine and body, if it isn't then go for it, just make sure you do your research.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I replaced my fan to a higher quality blade type and when I did it I also made the fan 100% switch operated, I got a three way set switch, I wired up to be on, middle to be automatic (Wired to the thermostat) and down for off completely. (the same way Kenworth's are wired up). Makes me feel like a professional. What year Taurus has the two speed fans? I may look into obtaining one and a four way switch.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
do what some of the camaro guys do. run a manual switch and turn on the fans when doing slow city driving. just remember to turn them off once you get up to speed like saleen said.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts