Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since starting up my 2003 Cobra Turbo Mustang last April I have been consuming coolant 2L-3L/month. (I did notice very light odor of antifreeze coolant.) Few times low coolant caused air entrapment and overheating but I shut it down each time got the air out added coolant and in operation again. Now it seems to leak coolant over the entire from rad and A/C dryer likely because it was blown around by the coolant fan. I taken the rad out of vehicle today and had a complete leak check done professionally at a shop. No Leak found in rad. Re-installed the rad, filled coolant and started up engine with heater on and rad pressure cap off to the bleed out any air entrapment in the coolant system. No leak, engine warmed up to operating temperature, still no leak. The coolant started to rise in air pressure tank so I re-installed the pressure cap. The coolant fan had already started. Few minutes later the coolant was leaking all over the bottom side underneath the rad and the cooling fan was soaked with coolant and the a/c dryer as well was soaked as before. No coolants coming out of the pressure relieve cap drain. I think the water pump started make a light cracking sound when engine at normal operating temp., but it was dry and not leaking. The engine appears clean and dry, heads clean and dry, oil level still same height on dip stick, and I cannot see any coolant in the tailpipe. Intake manifold is dry and clean.
I cannot see what exactly is leaking since the coolant is all over the cooling fan motor, rad and dryer and dripping at operating temp? Likely again the coolant fan blowing coolant everywhere at front. When I parked the mustang last I noticed large two coolant puddles underneath rad.
Has anyone any suggestions what to check for leaks?
Thanks,
Tony

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have found the problem. The coolant ALUMINUM EXPANSION/FILL TANK (Canton Brand) weld bead underneath tank has a leak in 3 inch length under low pressure 2-3 psi. Not easy to detect. I will see if there is a warranty that Canton backs up.
Appears problem detected and solved.
Thanks,
Tony

1 - 2 of 2 Posts