Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys. I have an 01 GT that's been siting for almost a 1 year and 3 months. October 2016 was the last time I ran it and it was to drive it up my driveway and park it in the garage. The oil pan was leaking like crazy and the intake manifold pipe cracked and and the heater hose blew off (beautiful coolant shower).

So the car was parked ever since and sitting in the garage. Last November I started working on it: Dropped the K member, changed the oil pan gasket, new OEM engine mounts, new Koni STR's, new front lower control arms, and new Stabilizer bar end links and sway bar bushings.

Anyways, I filled it up with distilled water today in hopes of starting her up. I noticed water (no coolant since it all leaked out - engine was not running) was leaking from on top of the driver side bell housing. I tried retracing my steps from my intake manifold install (OEM ford manifold with Fel Pro gaskets) and could not find a leak from:

- Heater core hoses
- Intake manifold (all bolts torqued to factory specs)
- Water pump bolts tight

Now the car was supported by an engine support beam for about 1 1/2 months by the bolts that come out of the heads (Ford said these were the sturdiest bolts to use). I checked the cylinder heads and can't find any leaks (wouldn't think it would leak out of there without it running).

Any ideas guys? If you are wondering as to why the hell the guy let the motor hang that long on the support beam... I babysit my 1 year old and my wife is 7 months pregnant.. So you dad's out there can probably understand the lack of availability we have for our hobbies!

Thanks for helping out guys. :smile2:

BTW - If you have any questions or want/need tips and tricks on dropping the K member, feel free to ask!

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
I assume you've already checked the lower radiator hose. If that's not it, then it sounds like it could be a cracked engine block. I can't think of any other places that would leak in that location when the engine is not running.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Where exactly on the top of the driver side bell housing? Keep in mind anything that leaks into the valley (heater return line, intake manifold/crossover) will leak out the bellhousing. I know that after blowing apart the transmission and clutch only to find it was leaking from the front crossover.

There's also a couple of freeze plugs on the back of the heads/engine as well.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How common are the freeze plugs? What would cause the heater core pipe to crack or leak (the one in the intake valley)? Also, who knows if the hoses went bad when the coolant shot out..

And yes I followed the factory torque sequence (always do for EVERY part). I torqued the intake manifold starting from the inside then outward.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Btw, I bought a bore scope from Amazon to help track down that leak. But keep the ideas coming fellas!

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,218 Posts
I had the same issue. Same place. It was my heater hose on the return side. Inside there is something and it broke causing the hose to leak. It would run down the back of the motor and trans I'm the same spot.

I'd get behind that motor with a light and start looking. Coolant leaks are typically easy to find.

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
If its around the bell housing then the only real culprits are heater hoses... Run your finger under each hose and see if you get any moisture on your finger treat it like date night just rub around the rim of the hose and see what what you pull back on the finger Lol..

If its dry there then take a look at the intake valley, There could be some coolant spilling from the heater hose where it attaches to the back of the water pump.

If that isnt wet then look at the intake manifold where it bolts to the heads especially towards the rear. I got a feeling you have a hose leaking because if you didnt get those heater hoses set back exactly like they were sitting when you took the clamps off itll leak.. you have to put the heater hose clamps back exactly like they came off because it stamps the hose with its shape so when you put the clamps back on and they dont sit back in the shape they lef tin the hose they leak.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had the same issue. Same place. It was my heater hose on the return side. Inside there is something and it broke causing the hose to leak. It would run down the back of the motor and trans I'm the same spot.

I'd get behind that motor with a light and start looking. Coolant leaks are typically easy to find.
I had to jack the motor up to fit the K member after installing new mounts... I wonder if something broke inside....

If its around the bell housing then the only real culprits are heater hoses... Run your finger under each hose and see if you get any moisture on your finger treat it like date night just rub around the rim of the hose and see what what you pull back on the finger Lol..

If its dry there then take a look at the intake valley, There could be some coolant spilling from the heater hose where it attaches to the back of the water pump.

If that isnt wet then look at the intake manifold where it bolts to the heads especially towards the rear. I got a feeling you have a hose leaking because if you didnt get those heater hoses set back exactly like they were sitting when you took the clamps off itll leak.. you have to put the heater hose clamps back exactly like they came off because it stamps the hose with its shape so when you put the clamps back on and they dont sit back in the shape they lef tin the hose they leak.
LMAO! Back in the day if a date night contained a little finger exploring, it meant I was getting to 3rd base real quick!

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
How common are the freeze plugs? What would cause the heater core pipe to crack or leak (the one in the intake valley)? Also, who knows if the hoses went bad when the coolant shot out..
Freeze plugs aren't that common. But enough age with shitty coolant and mix in some frigid temperatures and who knows.

The heater core return line can fail in a number of ways. It can fail to seal at the clamped joint, especially using spring clamps if the tube gets pinched or bent. It can leak from the welded joint where the tab is that bolts to the head. And last and probably most common, is leaking at the o-ring joint at the water pump nipple.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Freeze plugs aren't that common. But enough age with shitty coolant and mix in some frigid temperatures and who knows.

The heater core return line can fail in a number of ways. It can fail to seal at the clamped joint, especially using spring clamps if the tube gets pinched or bent. It can leak from the welded joint where the tab is that bolts to the head. And last and probably most common, is leaking at the o-ring joint at the water pump nipple.

I am waiting for that bore scope to get here so I can get to looking. Hopefully the coolant wasn't bad all it's life... As far as weather conditions, it's been a Northern California car all of it's life and the weather here isn't all that bad.

I'm hoping it's just a hose.

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,218 Posts

I am waiting for that bore scope to get here so I can get to looking. Hopefully the coolant wasn't bad all it's life... As far as weather conditions, it's been a Northern California car all of it's life and the weather here isn't all that bad.

I have a feeling you just got a hose issue like pate said.

And lmao in the date night thing. Hahaha that literally made me lol

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I have a feeling you just got a hose issue like pate said.

And lmao in the date night thing. Hahaha that literally made me lol
I was laughing hard when I read that too!!

Let’s hope it’s just a hose.... the bore scope “should” be able to help out once it arrives on Wednesday

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
I had to jack the motor up to fit the K member after installing new mounts... I wonder if something broke inside....

LMAO! Back in the day if a date night contained a little finger exploring, it meant I was getting to 3rd base real quick!
I wouldnt imagine that the engine block is broken or anything. Best thing to do is get it hot and leaking and trace that thing down.

LOL dang right you were either going to get to third or throw that bitch in reverse and take her ass to the house if she didn't pass the old finger test.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wouldnt imagine that the engine block is broken or anything. Best thing to do is get it hot and leaking and trace that thing down.

LOL dang right you were either going to get to third or throw that bitch in reverse and take her ass to the house if she didn't pass the old finger test.

If she didn't pass the finger test she was not getting a call the next day LOL!

·
Registered
264 Posts
When I raised my motor to do my tubular k member I broke the heater return line, which I didn't realize until after because all the coolant was drained at the time, and I noticed on the bell housing when I did finally fill her up.

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,218 Posts
The feed line to the heater core has some pressure regulator inside. It reduces the water pressure to the core preventing damage. The pressure regulator in the hose fails over time and caused that stupid hose to leak. Luckily mine did it in my driveway. Could have easily left me stranded.

I was under my car thinking the rear main gave out. This was before I knew better.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When I raised my motor to do my tubular k member I broke the heater return line, which I didn't realize until after because all the coolant was drained at the time, and I noticed on the bell housing when I did finally fill her up.
Did you break the return hose or the metal heater pipe in the intake valley?

The feed line to the heater core has some pressure regulator inside. It reduces the water pressure to the core preventing damage. The pressure regulator in the hose fails over time and caused that stupid hose to leak. Luckily mine did it in my driveway. Could have easily left me stranded.

I was under my car thinking the rear main gave out. This was before I knew better.
Thats right it has a flow restrictor in there so it doesn’t damage the heater core. I will dive in this weekend!!

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
When mine was leaking from the bell housing I first thought it was a freeze plug. It turned out to be the heater core itself under the dash cracked. I drove it to work and the crack finally broke and on the freeway with the heater on, I could smell coolant. I parked and when I came out of work there was a huge puddle under the car. I bypassed the heater core and filled the car with coolant. never had another leak, although I dont have a heater until I take the whole dash out and replace the heater core.

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
When mine was leaking from the bell housing I first thought it was a freeze plug. It turned out to be the heater core itself under the dash cracked. I drove it to work and the crack finally broke and on the freeway with the heater on, I could smell coolant. I parked and when I came out of work there was a huge puddle under the car. I bypassed the heater core and filled the car with coolant. never had another leak, although I dont have a heater until I take the whole dash out and replace the heater core.
I also ran my heater like this fora while especially when you dont do much winter driving it doesnt really matter.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts