Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently over heated my 2001 mustang gt because the engine fan got stuck. it boiled out the coolant, so i replaced it and fixed the fan. I drove the car for about 150 miles and it ran fine until one morning i made it about 3 miles and it lost power and died. now every time i start it it idles rough and is slow to respond with low power. it also won't start for about and hour after it starts running like this. does it sound possible that the coolant is leaking into the engine? any other suggestions?

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
pull your spark plugs to see if coolent is getting on them. if so it could be bad intake manifold gaskets, you could have warped your heads when you over heated it. if your car is not puffing out white smoke and your oil is clear of coolant i would say your not getting water in you motor

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
I hope its something simple. Be sure to check your oil. I blew up a motor once because coolant got into the oil and I drove it anyway. I've seen so many people replace motors because the car overheated or oil pressure dropped to zero and they drove it anyway. It's a lot cheaper calling a tow truck.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
The intake gaskets are notorious for failing around the coolant crossover tube at the front of the motor. That being said, since you know the car ran hot there is a very distinct possiblitly that you have done more damage. My advice is as follows:

1. drain the oil completely so that you can see it drain and watch for water or a milky look to the oil.

2. pull all of your plugs and do a compression check on ALL of the cylinders. look for any with dramatically lower compression than the others, most of the time a lack of compression will be accompanied by a lack of compression on the adjoining cylinder indicating a blown head gasket between cylinders.

3. if your compression numbers are pretty close across all eight cylinders you're in luck and the motor is in good shape. if numbers are low time for rebuild unfortunately.

4. if milky oil or obvious presence of coolant in the oil snatch the intake and replace the gaskets, I promise the gaskets are leaking around the coolant ports. at a bare minimum you'll have 30 bucks in gaskets.

if you don't have a compression gauge you should be able to use one from a parts store with a loan a tool program.

if you need a motor check with your local junkyards, most 4.6 motors can be had for around 1500 with under 100k miles and the junkyards will usually guarantee no blown headgaskets, or other signifigant damage. good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts