Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, been a stressful passed 2/3 months. It all started when my car overheated, brought it to a shop and turns out I had a cracked temperature housing. Quick fix and never had any overheating issues again.
Once it got colder out I began using the heat and it would blow cold air. Brought it to the shop about twice.First time got a radiator flush and when i drove it off the lot heat worked like never before. After 20 minutes of driving when I got home heat started giving in strangely and once I was on my driveway it was dripping from the outside on my driveway. All the coolant was gone within an hour. Brought it back to my mechanic and he added water to check for any leaks, pressure tested it and no leaks at all. Told me to keep the water in there to check and see how the heat kept up and for almost a week a half it was perfect.
Then got the water flushed and replaced with coolant since I finally thought somehow the problem was solved since it was working great.
Yesterday after driving almost all day and heat working fine during the evening i saw a bit of steam coming from hood and the heat completely went cold. After checking my coolant reservoir it was empty again.
After waking up in the morning and driving to work after a few minutes of driving temperature pointed to overheating so I stopped at walmart and added 2 gallons of coolant since it was empty and overheating seemed to have stopped. Let the engine run for a bit but no signs of coolant leakage

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?
Also side note my mechanic specifically said when changing my oil about 2 weeks ago that it didn’t seem different in consistency therefore he believes it’s not the head gaskets

I can also post pictures of coolant splattered around my engine bay

·
Registered
57 Posts
When this happened to me it was the heater core that was leaking. Refill the coolant, make sure it's full, you can fill through the upper radiator hose, remove it from the water neck and lift it up as vertically as you can and fill the hose as far as you can so it won't spill when you reconnect it, then top off the overflow tank to the appropriate fill line. Now, with your car on level ground go look on the firewall just below the passenger side cylinder head, there is a small black plastic "spillway", if it's wet then your heater core is leaking, this spillway is where leaky coolant is directed outside of the cars cabin. If this is your issue it's better than a head gasket issue and a Ford Motorcraft heater core is about $70 on rockauto, just be prepared for about ~6 hours to remove the dash, wrestle out the old core, and reinstall dash. There is an excellent Youtube guide where a guy walks through the steps to remove an SN-95 dash, all the bolts and all the wiring harnesses. Follow that video guide and you're golden.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts