Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!
Im kinda new here and unfortunatelly my first post is about an issue.

I had a leaking radiator, so I bought a new Mushimoto from americanmuscle I've installed it myself bleed the system and when i took it for a ride few miles later coolant started pooring out of the reservor cap! not just leaking...
So for some reason it builds pressure and it pushed the coolant from the cap.

I did some research but im still confused. Brough it to my mecahninc, we put new thermostat, and new cap. After 5-6 miles drive when the engine temp goes to "normal" it starts pouring out. However car does not overheat, fan works, AC works, as long as i still have coolant ...ofcourse.

Now I wonder what else could it be ?! Faulty/cloged radiator ? Blown head gasket? water pump?

It does not have white around the oil cap, wich will point to a headgasket.

I have no radiator cap to see what's going inside the radiator.
Also I have electric water pump wich my mechanic have never seen before...
I know I know, what kind of mechanic right.. :)

So any ideas about troubleshooting are welcome...

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
over filled the system and its pushing out the air/extra coolant

let the car run on level ground, if no level ground, keep the engine towards the top of the incline. Let it run and get up to temp. Before doing this, dont add any coolant or water. You will see the bottle fill up, and start to bubble.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i lifted the front with hydralic jack let it run with cap open i see the coolant going up and down about an inch, then it settled, then i put the cap on and start driving. that was with the old thermostat though, maybe I should try again...might be some air..
does it sound to you guys about a gasket or water pump?
because if thats the case im not fixing it anymore...

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
thats whats happened when I had too much coolant in the car

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Hi guys!
Im kinda new here and unfortunatelly my first post is about an issue.

I had a leaking radiator, so I bought a new Mushimoto from americanmuscle I've installed it myself bleed the system and when i took it for a ride few miles later coolant started pooring out of the reservor cap! not just leaking...
So for some reason it builds pressure and it pushed the coolant from the cap.

I did some research but im still confused. Brough it to my mecahninc, we put new thermostat, and new cap. After 5-6 miles drive when the engine temp goes to "normal" it starts pouring out. However car does not overheat, fan works, AC works, as long as i still have coolant ...ofcourse.

Now I wonder what else could it be ?! Faulty/cloged radiator ? Blown head gasket? water pump?

It does not have white around the oil cap, wich will point to a headgasket.

I have no radiator cap to see what's going inside the radiator.
Also I have electric water pump wich my mechanic have never seen before...
I know I know, what kind of mechanic right.. :)

So any ideas about troubleshooting are welcome...
I have had this happen before, twice. I lost power to my electric water pump. Mine is hooked up using a relay and the cheap $9 relay went bad. My car didn't overheat at first either. The first I knew about it is a guy pull up beside me on the interstate and started pointing at my engine. The car was spewing antifreeze all over the road. I got stopped just before the tempature gauge reached red. I tried adding coolant but it just spit it back out. I couldn't find the problem so I had the car towed. My mechanic couldn't find the problem either until he jumpered past the relay. I now carry a spare relay in my glove box as insurance.

During the installation of your radiator you must have unhooked the power to the electric water pump.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok today i lifted the frint with a jack then let it run a for while took some colant out and left the resorvoir half full
meanwhile i checked for power to the el waterpump and there is 12-14 V goin to it...

anyway i closed the cap and headed toward STEEDA and i floored all the way there, like 99GT35thLE said i "drove it like i stole it" and everything is fine now the reservoir went to 1/4 full and car runs fine , temps stays in middle.

So I guess I took too much fluid at first and then spit all the extra.

Thank you all for the fast responds and ideas. I hope at least this theard help someone else when refilling coolant!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts