Modded Mustang Forums banner

cooling fan coming on.

584 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  97S281 
#1 ·
At first I thought my battery was going bad ? I replace the neg. cable and cleaned everything up. Worked ok. I have notice after sitting all night that the cooling fan comes on for about 30 sec. This might be a drain on the battery at start up ? Read in the repair book that the fan is tied in with the engine coolant temp sensor a relay and then the cars pcm. Anyboby have a solution for this problem ?

#2 ·
The fan running at the same time as the motor will not put any extra strain on your battery. If the motor is running then your alternator should be putting more than enough juice to your battery to compensate for the fan.

Check your battery level and put a multimeter on the battery before you start the car. It should be around 12v. It should go up to 13-14v when the car is running. If it is low before you start it up then goes to 13-14v then your battery is probably going bad. If it readss 12v then goes down slowly after you turn on the car then your alternator is not running properly.

#5 ·
I think he means it comes on instantly when he starts the car after it has been sitting all night.

I'd be a little freaked out if he meant it comes on all during the night when the car is off.
I'd sure as hell be sellin' that. Haunted car=sucks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.