Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had cooling system issues ever since I got my mustang a year ago. I've replaced a lot of it, including the water pump (which I think was replaced before I had it o_O), thermostat, and 2 or 3 hoses. Once again, like clockwork, I'm mysteriously losing fluid, however unlike before, there is no puddle. I can see residue on random parts of the engine bay, but I don't know if that's from earlier issues or new leakage.

As for the actual current problem, I get some smoking when I drive it hard, like much harder than normal. This could be evaporation from old coolant, or new coolant being sprayed, I'm not sure.

Apart from that, I'm slowly losing coolant...but faster than i should be. I've filled the reservoir twice within 2 or 3 months.

Third and finally, there is a LOT of gunk on the inside of the reservoir. Like...mud looking stuff. When I pour new coolant in, I can see little flakes of the stuff floating..and I'm sure that isn't normal. I don't know how to prevent this..or clean it..or anything. So help in that area would be cool too.

So my questions are, where could I be leaking fluid? Does someone have a cooling system diagram? Keep in mind it's a very slow, small leak. Probably a hose? I don't know.
Then second, why the hell do I have crap in my reservoir?? I have no idea on that one.

Thanks for any help!

PS: I just remembered, if the car idles for a while there is a strong burning (rubberish) smell. Once I drive the smell is gone. I guess it could be related.

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
headgasket anyone?

and that is engine oil in your reservoir

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I had a feeling someone would say head gasket :[
I've been in denial about that possibility. If that is the case, fix it or sell it? This car is supposed to get me through 4 years of college and I haven't even started.

Thanks on the oil info, is it something to worry about?

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
what year is it? looking at about $800 to have it fixed, or most of your day and a $30 Haynes manual with some basic hand tools

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
and if you have correct oil and coolant levels, you are just mixing the two. if you need to be driving it, check the consistency of both and change the fluids more often.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what year is it? looking at about $800 to have it fixed, or most of your day and a $30 Haynes manual with some basic hand tools
It's a 97
Are you referring to the head gasket fix? I thought it was more than that, and no I probably wouldn't trust myself. $800...man that's right on the line of deciding whether to keep it or not. Blegh.

AtlanticBlue99 said:
and if you have correct oil and coolant levels, you are just mixing the two. if you need to be driving it, check the consistency of both and change the fluids more often.
I don't know what you mean here. You're saying I've mixed oil and coolant?? I know that hasn't happened... This was an old problem if anything, and I have new oil and coolant in right now. Assuming it doesn't get dirtier, should I worry about cleaning it?

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
I'll go headgasket!

But if your gonna do something why not do a split port motor :D You can get one for 650-800$ and get some more power also!

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
the coolant isnt getting "dirty;" it is getting oil in it! i didnt say to clean the fluids. you will need to change them because they are mixing. when the headgasket leaks, your coolant and oil mix.

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
oh how good it feels to be the leader in a classic game of MM follow the leader :)

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
*zips lips*
i know the sexual jokes that come with being in front of a bunch of dudes, but with enough guys and about a 5* angle of the dangle, we could make a complete circle so the caboose is a loser too!

p.s. the green is peckers

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow this got weird fast, lol.
So I'm assuming by now it's a head gasket, so I have to decide what my next step is. I know you say about $800 for a new install, but I never seem to find the best prices and can guess i would end up paying over 1000.
Split port swap sounds like a great idea but the install cost would be a b.i.t.c.h and I know I wouldn't be able to do it myself.

Ugh. I really don't know what to do.

·
Registered
965 Posts
save yourself the $1,000 on a 97 v6 stang that is worth zip essentially, even in good running condition (they hold no value, and yes i have one). and go ahead and put it toward a early 90's civic/teg and have fun moddin that

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yea you might also look for blowing white smoke... itll be a sign its your head gasket

·
Registered
965 Posts
i think we've established its the head gasket lol. You dont necessarily always see white smoke comin out the ass end. i too had the exact issue with my car as he describes to the T, without smoking, and it was the head gaskets.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well everyone's blowing smoke right now considering it's 20ish degrees every day here, but it's definitely a possibility.

and 97TunedMustang I would probably look for something more worth it than an early 90s civic, lol. I have no idea what though..or if that's even a possibility :/

·
Registered
965 Posts
Well everyone's blowing smoke right now considering it's 20ish degrees every day here, but it's definitely a possibility.

and 97TunedMustang I would probably look for something more worth it than an early 90s civic, lol. I have no idea what though..or if that's even a possibility :/
well im just sayin with the 1,000$ alone you could get somethin like that lol and yes itd be a butt ton quicker then a 97 6er stang, sad but true.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well im just sayin with the 1,000$ alone you could get somethin like that lol and yes itd be a butt ton quicker then a 97 6er stang, sad but true.
Ah, I see. Well I talked to my parents and I may be getting a different job and trading in the mustang for something else. Sad but true.

Anyone think I can get $5000 for a trade with a dealership? It only has 83k on it, new top and stuff. I think I could get around 5000.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts