Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am going to try and make a long story short :) The car temp use to show halfway between cold and center. I noticed I am leaking coolant from somewhere but have not found it yet. So saying that my overflow was empty so I added half way with water cause thats all I had at the time. Ran the car like that for about two weeks and noticed what looked like a little rust in the radiator. Know I filled the overflow back with coolant but its not running the same temperature. When I stop the car the needle is straight up but when driving slightly moves down but not like where it use to be it never moved at all that I can remember. I hope I explained that well enough any help would be awesome thx :)

·
Registered
581 Posts
thermostat stuck closed, Clogged radiator, bad fan clutch maybe. But dying, the stock gauge sucks. Verify the engines really overheating before throwing money at it.

the rust thing is normal with these cast iron engines, but a nice flush will clean things up for you. You could do a flush with a new 180* thermostat and see if that helps.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Another point. Locate the source of the leak before anything bad happens. Does the car blow white smoke out the exhaust? Might have a bad head gasket.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
what he said ^ i agree

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
In my daily driver 88 hatch I have a lower intake bolt (second one in on the pas side) on the lower intake that completely snapped of flush with the head that leaks coolant and I need to add water to it once a week (should probably be like every other day) and the temps never get above what my thermostat is which is 180.. even with the stock rusty pos rad being half full of nasty coolant **** mix so in your case i'd inspect the waterpump or possibly pop the lower coolant hose off your radiator and flush that **** out it might be clogged.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts