Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
zippeewannabee
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This could be a very stupid question but i thought i would ask anyways. First off, Im a little pissed off on how shitty these COP's are, I have already had to buy a few of them to replace some fouled ones over the past year, and now there is at least one or two out at this time. Now my tuner says for the best spark and consistancy (for the nitrous), I should just buy a whole set brand new. These things arent cheap, looking at about $350-400 just for OEM.

So thats my story. Now because of all this I was just curious if it was possible to switch from the COP's to just a standard set of coils with some plug wires? If not, please explain...

thanks a bunch MMers

·
April 2012 ROTM
4,739 Posts
do you mean coils as in a NPI type setup?

·
zippeewannabee
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you getting misfire codes? How do you know they are bad? Why replace all of them?
not too sure, but i know there are a few of them on there that are POS aftermarket, so i figured replace them all, get rid of the problem

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
Test them with a dvom/multimeter. Then youll know if theyre bad or not. No use in spending the money if theyre not bad.....not saying theyre not bad, but 5-10min of time to make sure they are beats blowing money if they are indeed still good.

·
zippeewannabee
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, scratch the idea of checking coils

back to the original question.. is it posible to switch from COP's to standard coils

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
Anything is possible with enough money! You could get 8 separate packs, like on the race cars, and run the wires over to them for each cylinder. Otherwise its going to be tricky to give the signal to fire the spark to your aftermarket system.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts

·
zippeewannabee
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wow those look nice, but $450? thats a tad bit much..

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
I thought the weapon x coils were off a gsxr or a CBR600, something like that?? I have not heard good things about any aftermarket COPs. I have heard of lots of misfire and blow out issues that were resolved when they put the stockers back on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I thought the weapon x coils were off a gsxr or a CBR600, something like that?? I have not heard good things about any aftermarket COPs. I have heard of lots of misfire and blow out issues that were resolved when they put the stockers back on.
Don't make me laugh Trick Tuners. Have you ever held a WeaponX coil in your hands? They are injection moulded with our company logo on them. We manufacture our own product, always have, always will. Built and designed in North America. FYI, the CBR uses Nippon Denso units and the GSXR uses Mitsubishi, neither of which will properly fit a modular Ford application and neither of which will out power the EFX coils.Also, you may want to test our product before lumping them in with the rest and making claims about "blowout".

Also, forget about WeaponX and Trick Tuners all together this is me talking as a person to you as a person. I will put an honest manno vs manno money wager, say $500 out of pocket vs your $500 on the table with you if you are up to a third party, back to back, no punches pulled dyno test. WeaponX makes more power, money is in my pocket, OEM wins, you take home $500 extra. LMK and I will make sure to get a dyno from a third party, non WeaponX dealer. I'm this confident, if you are that confident in the OEMs vs the WeaponX just let me know.
Infact, there is a company right now that called us up looking for a fix to their OEM coil blowout issues who are doing a test on a Ford GT with blowout past 1K rwhp. First set of coils ordered from us for trial. I can have the dyno first week of the new year and you can call up to verify all the information yourself when done.

wow those look nice, but $450? thats a tad bit much..
We manufacture two versions a Level 1 version that uses the same principals but is designed to compete with the MSD, Accell etc units in price / performance and a higher output / priced Level 2 EFX version. Level 2's are 450.
:)

·
Registered
669 Posts
Don't make me laugh Trick Tuners. Have you ever held a WeaponX coil in your hands? They are injection moulded with our company logo on them. We manufacture our own product, always have, always will. Built and designed in North America. FYI, the CBR uses Nippon Denso units and the GSXR uses Mitsubishi, neither of which will properly fit a modular Ford application and neither of which will out power the EFX coils.Also, you may want to test our product before lumping them in with the rest and making claims about "blowout".

Also, forget about WeaponX and Trick Tuners all together this is me talking as a person to you as a person. I will put an honest manno vs manno money wager, say $500 out of pocket vs your $500 on the table with you if you are up to a third party, back to back, no punches pulled dyno test. WeaponX makes more power, money is in my pocket, OEM wins, you take home $500 extra. LMK and I will make sure to get a dyno from a third party, non WeaponX dealer. I'm this confident, if you are that confident in the OEMs vs the WeaponX just let me know.

We manufacture two versions a Level 1 version that uses the same principals but is designed to compete with the MSD, Accell etc units in price / performance and a higher output / priced Level 2 EFX version. Level 2's are 450.
:)
You revived a thread that is two years old.

·
Premium Member
2,706 Posts
"We do not allow advertising to be embedded within the forum topics, in fairness to our paid sponsors, who help keep this forum operating. Simply mentioning a related business in the course of a thread is in no way restricted as long as it is relevant to the thread and would not be considered obtrusive. We would be happy to place a link to your business website in our "Related Links" area in consideration of a reciprocal link. No other advertising will be allowed within the forum and, when found, will be removed."

:dunno

·
Registered
7 Posts
"We do not allow advertising to be embedded within the forum topics, in fairness to our paid sponsors, who help keep this forum operating. Simply mentioning a related business in the course of a thread is in no way restricted as long as it is relevant to the thread and would not be considered obtrusive. We would be happy to place a link to your business website in our "Related Links" area in consideration of a reciprocal link. No other advertising will be allowed within the forum and, when found, will be removed."

:dunno
No problem and completely fair and understood. Thanks for your consideration. :) I just ran across this thread and lately am getting agitated with people putting words in our mouth that are uninformed or from biased sources. I'm all about fair play, and appreciate the rebutle. Blanket statements made by supposed credible sources IMHO, on any forum, should be removed as it's not professional. Personally I shouldn't be here stating our coils are not off a CBR and needing to protect our interest from an uninformed blanket statement from a "credible" source. In all fairness, we don't talk smack about Trick Tuners, and we would expect, and respect the professional stance and attitude we have in return. If they can't respect that, it should be enforced by the moderators. You don't see it in any other type of advertising, it shouldn't be here either. Infact, I would go so far as to say it's slander against us and enforcible in court. Just my 0.02 cents, take it for what it's worth.

Regards

·
Premium Member
2,706 Posts
No problem and completely fair and understood. Thanks for your consideration. :) I just ran across this thread and lately am getting agitated with people putting words in our mouth that are uninformed or from biased sources. I'm all about fair play, and appreciate the rebutle. Blanket statements made by supposed credible sources IMHO, on any forum, should be removed as it's not professional. Personally I shouldn't be here stating our coils are not off a CBR and needing to protect our interest from an uninformed blanket statement from a "credible" source. In all fairness, we don't talk smack about Trick Tuners, and we would expect, and respect the professional stance and attitude we have in return. If they can't respect that, it should be enforced by the moderators. You don't see it in any other type of advertising, it shouldn't be here either. Infact, I would go so far as to say it's slander against us and enforcible in court. Just my 0.02 cents, take it for what it's worth.

Regards
:rockon

Thanks, I'm no moderator, just a little curious since you aren't a forum sponsor. Thanks for the reply, you couldn't have said it better :yes

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
lol.. back from the dead :)
I don't know but... reviving a two year old thread just to vent hatred isn't really a good way to gain favor. It makes you look petty and vindictive. Instead why don't you talk about the positive technical aspects.

By the way, the stock COP are really good. There are not many people that would need to replace them.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
The weapon X coils are good. So are new OEM ones. Your argument and approach is that of a 12 year old. Grow up. I would expect more from a person of your position.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The weapon X coils are good. So are new OEM ones. Your argument and approach is that of a 12 year old. Grow up. I would expect more from a person of your position.
As we would expect from others here.

It makes you look petty and vindictive. Instead why don't you talk about the positive technical aspects.

By the way, the stock COP are really good. There are not many people that would need to replace them.
We aren't here to advertise, as seen in the previous posts, there are issues with our advertising dollars when biased third parties exist and we don't care for a he said, she said debate.

Also, sorry about seeming vindictive, it was never intended to be. Would have been nice to see someone state the same when Trick Tuners made a bias suggestion towards a product they never tested or got any information on. I am sure, the deeper issue stems years back, which I'm not going to comment on. That too me, seems more vindictive then us supporting our product against false claims. But that is just my opinion.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.