Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i heard that copper is better than platinum, i think someone on here said it to me but i know that platinum is denser than copper so shouldnt platinum be the better way to go?

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
copper should flow the energy of the plugs better...

we shall see what torres says he for some reason knows a lot about plugs :D

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ha, matter of fact im thinking he was the one who told me copper was better, lol, idk, we shall see what he says. the omnipient plug master.

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
i think the main reason people say copper is there is less chance of burning a hole through your piston... i think that the platinum ones have a hotter spark or something i can't remember but yea some one will be able to tell ya

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if thats so with the platinums then copper may flow the energy better but sounds like platinum's hotter spark can give you better gas mileage im geussing...idk, well see.

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
no mustangs are designed to use a copper plug, platinum is a better conductor, but the copper work better in the mustang cause thats what it is designed for

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
no mustangs are designed to use a copper plug, platinum is a better conductor, but the copper work better in the mustang cause thats what it is designed for

Sure about that chief?

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
Platinum can get hot enough that when your racing it'll find weak spots on your pistons and possibly even burn a hole right through

which is why copper is safer

·
Registered
546 Posts
yes platinum has a better conduction value than copper
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I am currently in training to be an electrician for the power company (later down the road hopefully electrical engineer). I looked into my books from school and found the exact opposite. Platinum has a resistance rating of 10.5 micro-ohm's per cm. Where as copper has a resistance rating of 1.678 micro-ohms per cm. Lower the resistance better the conductor. I believe the use of iridium and platinum is for their better resistance to higher temperatures. However I do not know enough about the subject to tell you why platinum or iridium is used for sure, but i can tell you for a fact copper is a better conductor.

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I am currently in training to be an electrician for the power company (later down the road hopefully electrical engineer). I looked into my books from school and found the exact opposite. Platinum has a resistance rating of 10.5 micro-ohm's per cm. Where as copper has a resistance rating of 1.678 micro-ohms per cm. Lower the resistance better the conductor. I believe the use of iridium and platinum is for their better resistance to higher temperatures. However I do not know enough about the subject to tell you why platinum or iridium is used for sure, but i can tell you for a fact copper is a better conductor.
I meant with spark plugs I made this a little unclear, in my alternate fuels and efficiency class we were seeing which spark plug metal carried spark the best at over 80 degrees, copper was last, platinum second and iridium was third, sry I didn't say it was for spark plugs only I forgot

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
iriduim and platinum both work better in plugs, but copper has its benfits, it will melt before you motor detonates, letting you know that somethings about to go wrong, and it could save you alot of money, as for performance goes, youd see the must from iridium

·
Registered
546 Posts
I meant with spark plugs I made this a little unclear, in my alternate fuels and efficiency class we were seeing which spark plug metal carried spark the best at over 80 degrees, copper was last, platinum second and iridium was third, sry I didn't say it was for spark plugs only I forgot
Oh okay, yeah when they test for electric resistance normally its like 20 degrees celcius I believe.

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
Copper melts at 1981 degrees F and that makes it suitable for an internal combustion engine. It's a great conductor of electricity (second to silver), heat and can resist corrosion to a point. Copper is very soft and can be easily drawn into wires. The majority of the spark plugs on the market today are copper since it is the most economical of the material to use. Nickel is also used as an alloying material for a copper spark plug. However car makers have be using platinum plugs in their engines to increase the tune-up intervals.

Platinum is a precious metal and it is rare, that makes it more expensive than copper. It melts at 3,200 degrees F. and it is highly resistant against corrosion. Platinum has a high fuse point with high electrical resistance. It is also harder than copper, making it very useful for longevity of a spark plug. Make no mistake, copper is a better conductor than platinum.

:cool:

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
Copper melts at 1981 degrees F and that makes it suitable for an internal combustion engine. It's a great conductor of electricity (second to silver), heat and can resist corrosion to a point. Copper is very soft and can be easily drawn into wires. The majority of the spark plugs on the market today are copper since it is the most economical of the material to use. Nickel is also used as an alloying material for a copper spark plug. However car makers have be using platinum plugs in their engines to increase the tune-up intervals.

Platinum is a precious metal and it is rare, that makes it more expensive than copper. It melts at 3,200 degrees F. and it is highly resistant against corrosion. Platinum has a high fuse point with high electrical resistance. It is also harder than copper, making it very useful for longevity of a spark plug. Make no mistake, copper is a better conductor than platinum.

:cool:
thank you Bill Nye :)

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
actually stock mine came with platinums... but

copper plugs all the frickin way

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
woohoo copper for me, i love copper, im gonna change mine now, lol, thanx guys. i would post rep for everyone in here right now that went with copper but i dont have time, definetly later though, promise,

1 - 20 of 23 Posts