Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 mustang. Im gettin a supercharger for it but anyway.... I found a 4.6 core that had a blown head gasket here in town for 150. It is out of a 02 crown vic. i am gunna build the motor to withstand some hp with the works but i wanna make sure it is the same motor before i do that. same??

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone know??

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
Any 2v 4.6 out of rear wheel drive car will work be the same

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
for sure? i dont wanna be building a crown vic motor for absolutely no point. the reason im asking is because a local salvage yard said that not all 4.6s are the same. but another yard said yes it will work so just trying to make sure.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
a 4.6 in a truck has the same mounts as a mustang and a crown vic and a expedition? If so do you think a core price of 200 is a decent price. guy said it has a blown head gasket. doesnt matter cause ima redo it inside and out. he wouldnt take my trade for my core 5.4 4v out of a 2000 navi.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
all of the blocks are the same...the heads are what are different between the motors. Only thing im not certain on is if a NPI block is the same as a PI block...i know the pistons are different, but other than that i dunno.

Since you have the 5.4 core, why not build that up instead?

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Because I don't want to deal with the swap part and computer part and all that. I heard a 2v wasnt as bad but the 4v would be tougher. i would trade with somebody that had a 4.6 that was bad if they lived near me in louisiana. i tried to do that today and salvage yard wouldnt do it?

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
npi pi/????????? what is this????

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
NPI non power improved
PI power improved

NPI motors have a higher compression ratio than PI motors...so if you slapped PI heads on a NPI motor, it would have a higher compression ratio than a PI motor...i believe it would be around 10.1:1 or so.

4.6 2v and 4v are the same block.

If your looking for the best bang for the buck, head thrown into seat mod...that 5.4 4 valve is the way to go. Do some research into it, lots of good info out there on it. With the navi heads though, a stock hood won't fit.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
best bang for the buck?? the 5.4 4v i would think would cost more due to having to buy a new computer system, having to make it fit, new hood... so on. I did look into that cause i already had the motor but peeps said the 4v 5.4 is worse of an install than the 2v 5.4. I was looking at it yesterday and it is big! ha. so dont go with the crown vic motor because its a npi? If you could toss up a link that shows the steps up the 5.4 and let me look over it i might consider it. i just think the 2v 4.6 would be a WHOLE LOT EASIER.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
everything you would ever want to know about a 5.4 4v swap...

5.4 N/A cobra project - Corral Forums

Really dont think it would be much more work to put the 5.4 in your car...when i say bang for the buck, its gonna cost a lil more to do the work but you are going to get better numbers.

Either way you decide to go...i'd highly recommend putting forged internals in it...the stock pistons and rods aren't the greatest.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Oh and not sure how far from Oklahoma you are...but drgrcn72 has a 4.6 block for sale in the classifieds. Block came out of an 04 mustang gt.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
im in northwest louisiana, real close to OK. Yeah the forged internals is a must. But what about the computer swap stuff. Plugs and wires is what scares me bout the deal. ill check into it. but i would never want to go more than 600 or so hp so would it be worth the 5.4 4v swap?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
well if it means anything...about the most you can go N/A in a 4.6 2v is about 350 rwhp. The 5.4 4v is going to get you 350+ just out of the box...port and polish, different cams etc...you could push some pretty nice numbers just N/A

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
i want a 2v so that i can forge the internals to withstand the psi of the blower. The motor in it now is stock and runs fine. I am about to install a SC on it to get up around 400hp or so hopefully. But i want to have another 2v 4.6 on the side being rebuilt with better internals just in case i mess the current motor up. then the new motor would be able to handle much more from the blower. You feel me? i might not be being very clear. sorry bro... im new to all this mustang stuff. My dad owns a body shop and i bought the car wrecked for almost nothing and rebuilt it in like a weekend. So its payed off and i dont have much in the thing anyway. its a 2000 GT. anyway i figured id play with it. you see what im saying now?

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so would the npi 4.6 be ok for what im doing? all i want is the block.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
yeah should be the same block, i'm trying to find a lil more data before i say im positive on it.

i see what you are trying to do. Keep in mind, forged parts add up real quick. I'm looking at a mmr 600 long block right now...thinking about getting it in a few months. Price on it is at about $6700 the way i want it.

Getting a short block or long block isnt much of a price difference than you doing it yourself though. A MMR 600 short block is $2400..about $3000 with some goodies. To have a machine shop do the work on the block, your looking at atleast $300 and then a forged rotating assembly is $1900...stuff adds up quick.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts