Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I cut and drilled out the old core support. It wasn't worth trying to save. I got this car cheap, and it had previously been in some kind of front end accident. It was "repaired". In a shade tree type way. Basicly the core support was pretty crumpled and so was the passenger side corner and whoever had it just bent back the mounting locations enough to put on a replacment bumper and fender. So it was still all crinkled up. From the outside at a quick glance you wouldn't know, but not everything lined up right. Long story short I ordered a replacement support for it and am getting close to being able to weld it in. Still probably a day or 2 left straitening and replacing metal. I'll try to get a couple pics up of what I've got so far.
I've probably drilled 50 holes and hit it with a body hammer a thousand times.

What gauge of steel is the engine compartment? I need to get a small piece for that corner.
Any hints on getting the proper fittment?

It's a 95 by the way.

Oh, and a suggestion from myself...I am actualy somewhat enjoying this, but it's worth passing on a car that needs this work than fixing it.:sorry

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
some pics:D

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well they are not in the correct order. And I wire brushede the metal so it looks a lot more wavy than I have realy got it. when I find some sheet metal I may just replace a lot of it. The car will be carbed so I don't need all the holes etc.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cant find anything else warped. I di measure across the engine compartment from corner to corner.(well from corespnding holes on each side) and it's the same. I don't have a frame machine to tell 100% but as far as I can tell all is well. The new support slides in place very well, so up front side to side is spot on.

Luckily the k-member is an additional support in the front and if it weren't for that I think many cars like this would be much more twisted.
Any areas I should look at for damage?

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I wouldn't worry about getting the sheet metal perfect, that is what body filler is for. Also can't you just replace the whole inner apron?

·
Registered
698 Posts
The horse is already "out of the barn" so to speak but if you run into this type of damage in the future, I would take it to a frame shop first, and at least have them do a "pre-pull" on the damaged area and get the parts your going to save back to their proper locations. Then get some reference measurements before removing the damaged part you want to replace, everything will line up a whole lot easier plus when you go to have the front end aligned, there won't be as many propblems. Over the years I've rebuilt some pretty blasted fox bodies (and 2 SN-95's) and after it was all said and done, only had to change one complete core support. There is a crap load of work in replacing a complete core (as you've found out), depending on just how bad it was, sectioning it might have been easier. Keep us posted on the progress. As far as what gauge metal to use, 18-22 gauge will work fine.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
i think 50resto.com sales new core supports. Pretty cheap price IIRC.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks, yeah it's a lot of work. I have learned my lesson and if i get another in the furture i'll make sure there is no frame or major body issues. Unfortunatly I would need another mustang available to measure locations because I couldn't count on this being correct in the state i got it. All is going well. I'll post again in a few days.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts