Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 stang with a 4v motor swap but i am unsure as to the year of the engine, the car has wide band o2 sensors but i am noticing a little gas is passing through the exhaust, the car has a fuel pressure gauge installed with an aeromotive fpr, and the gauge is 70 lbsa, what should i be running as that seems a little high to me. It would appear the car did have a super charger at one time and I'm wondering if it was never retuned after it was removed.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
The fuel pressure regulator needs to be removed from the system..... the year of the engine isn't important in this equation. If you're using your 02 EEC it's set up for returnless fuel with a FRPS and a target pressure of 39psi which is regulated by the FPDM's control over the fuel pump.

Are you still running your stock 02 EEC or did the EEC come from somewhere else. If the EEC came with the engine crank that regulator back to the 40 psi range and you'll see an instant improvement.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no idea if the eec is stock, the car has numerous mods and I am unsure of its history being it wasa California car sold at auction to a dealer in TN, someone had it 2 months and i bought it as is after the trade in.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where is the eec located on the car and how can i tell if the computer is stock or what should be with that engine

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Well lets skip that step for a moment. Go crank the fuel pressure down to about 40 PSI and lets go from there. Start there and lets see how that does and what new issues arise.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got another 7 hrs at work but i will do that when i get home and let you know how it goes, the car is idling at around 1500 RPMs, will a decrease in fuel pressure affect this at all. The car will die at times coming down from a high rpm, makes me think it may be flooding out

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
There's probably a lot of issues, you said the car was supercharged... it's not now if I understand correctly. Two very different tunes required. Lets get the fuel pressure issue worked out to begine with and take one step at a time. Changing five things at a time doesn't tell you where problems are. baby steps.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
What caught my eye was 'Wideband sensors'. Meaning did the person put widebands in place of the stock ones, or does this thing have an aftermarket ECU.
Gonna be issues even if it's stock EEC with the s/c tune. 70 psi is a huge problem. This won't be a fun or cheap fix I suspect. You bring up a good question though.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
They don't have anything to do with converters. But they'll be a great tuning aid trying to get your problems squared away.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
I think you are going to have to fully investigate what you have before you make any changes. You said it had a fuel pressure regulator, a wide band, and pressure at the rails is a constant 70 psi. Did the previous owner take out the returnless system and put in a return fuel system?

You said you noticed a little gas passing through the exhaust. Noticed how? By smell? Did the previous owner take out the cats? Does the car have mufflers?

You don't need to retune the car when you take the supercharger off if you leave the injectors alone. Our motors run in vacuum most of the time and the tune is good for non-boosted conditions. People sometimes complain of a gas smell when the cats are removed and this is the time of year when condensation drips from exhaust pipes. What does you wideband say? It should tell you if the motor is running rich or not. A boosted tune does run richer than a naturally asperated tune. A constant 70 psi is not normal for our cars if they are running a returnless system. The aftermarket fuel pressure gauge be around 30 psi at idle and 40 psi at wide open throttle. The ECU will run the pressure up on hot days to prevent vapor lock in the fuel rails but that shouldn't be a problem this time of year. Our cars normally do not have a fuel pressure regulator. We have a fuel rail pressure sensor.

Your car has apparently been modded and partially restored. You really need to baseline your car.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
I think you are going to have to fully investigate what you have before you make any changes. You said it had a fuel pressure regulator, a wide band, and pressure at the rails is a constant 70 psi. Did the previous owner take out the returnless system and put in a return fuel system?

You said you noticed a little gas passing through the exhaust. Noticed how? By smell? Did the previous owner take out the cats? Does the car have mufflers?

You don't need to retune the car when you take the supercharger off if you leave the injectors alone. Our motors run in vacuum most of the time and the tune is good for non-boosted conditions. People sometimes complain of a gas smell when the cats are removed and this is the time of year when condensation drips from exhaust pipes. What does you wideband say? It should tell you if the motor is running rich or not. A boosted tune does run richer than a naturally asperated tune. A constant 70 psi is not normal for our cars if they are running a returnless system. The aftermarket fuel pressure gauge be around 30 psi at idle and 40 psi at wide open throttle. The ECU will run the pressure up on hot days to prevent vapor lock in the fuel rails but that shouldn't be a problem this time of year. Our cars normally do not have a fuel pressure regulator. We have a fuel rail pressure sensor.

Your car has apparently been modded and partially restored. You really need to baseline your car.
Which is why he needs to return the fuel pressure via the installed regulator to 40 ish before we move forward.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have know way of knowing what the previous owner did and did not do, the car has borla exhaust out the center with x pipe, i noticed some black spray on my garage door and smelled it was gas, i them held a white piece of card board behind it and revved it and saw a little more gas

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
That's a monster. It's cobbled from different vehicles. It has the early style Modular ignition setup. That tells me that the EEC has been changed along with it. Get the fuel pressure reset and we'll get it figured out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got the fuel pressure set to 42 lbs, took it for a spin and noticed no problems but it did seem to have a little less power, as i adjusted the pressure down a lot of gas came from the exhaust but after a quick run down the road no more gas from the exhaust

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
One thing i noticed tonight was that my throttle return spring seemed a bit loose, seems to maybe be the culprit of my sometimes faster idling

1 - 20 of 21 Posts