Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had my car parked while I was gone at school, I came back this weekend and found my terminals covered in corrosion. I was wondering if any one could help me out. I cleaned them off pretty well and on the negative terminal some of the metal corroded away. I was thinking of getting the battery terminals from American Muscle but it isn't clear on how to make the swap. Is there a different set that would be better or what? Can anyone provide some insight for me? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Cut old terminals. Peel the (-)(+) wire insulation and feed the wire into the new terminals. Then hook them back on.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
I haven't done that is several years. I hope the replacement terminals are better than they used to be. After replacing them I always had trouble with the copper wires corroding inside the replacement terminals. Now I just buy completely new cables. Its a lot better than having a car not start because of the corrosion inside the terminals.

If that happens to you, we used to use Coke (the soft drink) to clean the corrosion off.

Reactions: Babatund3

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
we used to use Coke (the soft drink) to clean the corrosion off.
Bad idea, the sugar from the coke will kill your battery. It creates a bridge from positive to negative terminal causing it to burn out the battery. I would use baking soda instead of coke and clean it very well.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Well, I suppose it would if we poured that much on it (just like water could form a bridge) but we didn't. We used just a little at a time. Baking soda is a neutralizing agent. How does it bubble away built up corrosion? You still have to scrape it away.

By the way, that was just a shade tree mechanic fix. Personally, I'd change the cables. And, now days they have spray on stuff at auto parts stores that work much better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts